Discuss In Serious need of some help please ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Denise

-
Reaction score
Im in the uk and i bought a hoover F9149inc steam vac plus carpet cleaner off a seller in america not thinking that being in the uk the workings /plug etc would be different i contacted the seller who said ineeded a 100w stepdown converter ,so i paid 20 quid for one and it lasted about 10 seconds iv hadf it a month and cant use it because i havent got a clue what to buy for it powerful yet safely ,the back of the carpet cleaner says 12.A 120V 60HZ 12.0A
and on the engine it says
YDC-62-IAD
NINGBO DE CHANG ELECTRICAL
20170325 QC4
FUSE 15.A-250 V

sorry for including all these numbers their all probably useless but iv been in contact with so many people who can only advise i use a travel adapter and I dont really belive this can be the case
im so hopeful someone one here can give me some advice on what i can buy so i can use this
thanks in advance
Denise

There's 2 problems, the US supply is a different voltage (110v=USA, 230v=UK) and it's a different frequency (60Hz=USA, 50Hz=UK).

You can get a power supply that will change the voltage from 230v to 110v but the difference in supply frequency may still destroy the motor in the Hoover.

If the stepdown supply you bought was destroyed it was probably because it was too small.

Is there no way you can return it to the seller for a refund? If you can that would be my best advice.

trash-bin.jpg
answer ,waste of your monies .

I'm going with @Marvo post above.
How much did you pay for the hoover?
Your best bet may be to either get your money back or just get a new one that works with the UK voltage.

You could try a 230-110 site transformer,they are readily available ,at about 60 notes,theyare used in the construction industry to operate 110 volt machines

The frequency being lower over here,its 50Hz in the UK compared to your US 60Hz machine
This will have the effect of slowing the motor and increasing the current,it could damage the motor
The lower 110 voltage may though offset that above negative
Maybe find someone with a transformer and give it a try

Does this machine have a UK equivalent on the market? Maybe you can source a motor designed to work in UK and have it replaced.
It will only be the motor, or could the electric switches be concerned about the different voltages and frequency?

A quick google search suggests this appliance retails for perhaps $150? Even if you could get it to work with a large 230 to 110V transformer, I'd say the cost and trouble not worth the bother, and I doubt it is worth the cost of shipping it back either. I'd just bin it, and look for a UK model.

A quick google search suggests this appliance retails for perhaps $150?

I wonder how much the OP paid for his to get shipped over here? I did ask but I think he may have ran off..... I have that affect on people...

There's 2 problems, the US supply is a different voltage (110v=USA, 230v=UK) and it's a different frequency (60Hz=USA, 50Hz=UK).

The US uses 120v (not 110v ). That would be why the rating plate on the machine says 120v.

The UK is quoted (wrongly) at 230v but is actually 240v as it has been since nationalisation.

maybe OP could buy another the same and connect them in series. get the cleaning done in half the time with 2 going at it together.:D:D:D.

Reply to In Serious need of some help please ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net