Discuss in the flat i rent at mo in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As far as I understood, concentric used to be able to be buried as swa pre 17th edition.
Now it would need to have additional protection, as has been said.
As for coding, was it compliant when installed? Although looking at the pic that needs a code on its own!!

I remember when I was a first year apprentice doing caravan hook ups in 19 mm split concentric. LOL....

As far as I understood, concentric used to be able to be buried as swa pre 17th edition.
Now it would need to have additional protection, as has been said.
As for coding, was it compliant when installed? Although looking at the pic that needs a code on its own!!

I remember when I was a first year apprentice doing caravan hook ups in 19 mm split concentric. LOL....

Not as far as i can remember they wasn't!! The DNO however have there own set of rules an Regulations. But even then i've often seen these cable run in ducts when they bring them into properties from the main cables joint.... They have after all, no mechanical protection whatsoever!!

Maybe I understood wrong previously. Yeh additional protection required under 17th and before aswell. Thanks E54.
There is no real advantage of using this cable over t and e.

ive used a lot of this cable in the past the stuff ive used is the orange split con or wave con as some call it,
definately on the supply side its used, the stuff i used was the aluminium stuff not nice to pull in when your pulling in the 4 core 300s lol but at this size the outer cores are only used as the earth but the way its made off is completely different we were taught to shape the earth cores (into the feeder pillars and to the cut outs/distribution boards) into a sort of bird cage and then form them together using tape before connecting into the snap off terminals then the panels have wooden clamps to hold the cable in place as they enter the feeder pillars,

the smaller sizes are nice to make off the main annoyance being that you have to strip each individual neutral core the same length before terminating into the neutral block, we also had to use this metallic compound on the aluminium cable ends to prevent the aluminium oxidising at the connection creating bad resistance,

overall id say cheap and nasty way of doing supply cables imo

ive used a lot of this cable in the past the stuff ive used is the orange split con or wave con as some call it,
definately on the supply side its used, the stuff i used was the aluminium stuff not nice to pull in when your pulling in the 4 core 300s lol but at this size the outer cores are only used as the earth but the way its made off is completely different we were taught to shape the earth cores (into the feeder pillars and to the cut outs/distribution boards) into a sort of bird cage and then form them together using tape before connecting into the snap off terminals then the panels have wooden clamps to hold the cable in place as they enter the feeder pillars,

the smaller sizes are nice to make off the main annoyance being that you have to strip each individual neutral core the same length before terminating into the neutral block, we also had to use this metallic compound on the aluminium cable ends to prevent the aluminium oxidising at the connection creating bad resistance,

overall id say cheap and nasty way of doing supply cables imo

That's sounds like a headache!

So how would you describe the system earthing arrangement on this? Assuming you have no way of knowing what is on the other end of this cable. TN-S? Or will there be a supply head nearby before the coin meter?

Would those black boxes contain the supplier's fuse? If so, what would you put down for supply protective device?

Before you carry on, please find out about Split concentric.

A/ the outer cores are not armours they a conductors in there own right.
B/ the DNO’s use concentric NOT split concentric.
C/ it is treated as Lenny pointed out just the same as T+E

It’s nice stuff to work with. IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!

Before you carry on, please find out about Split concentric.

A/ the outer cores are not armours they a conductors in there own right.
B/ the DNO’s use concentric NOT split concentric.
C/ it is treated as Lenny pointed out just the same as T+E

It’s nice stuff to work with. IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!

They use both Tony, depending on what earthing system they are providing/replacing
About 10 years ago, in one of mums neighbours house, a workman drilled thru the DNO's supply cable that was imbedded in the hall wall, going to one of those council metal service boxes in the hall. When they replaced the cable (TN-S) it was with a split concentric cable. changed the cut-out too....

Hey, sorry I stand corrected. But in all honesty I’ve never seen DNO’s use split concentric.

But we live and learn. When I’ve learnt it all, some t**t will be screwing the lid down on the box.

I’ll go and sit in the corner with my dunces cap on for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to in the flat i rent at mo in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock