Discuss Inaccurate RCD test results from my 1653 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

jeremy

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
My 1653 has suddenly started giving inaccurate results when testing rcds. On a ramp test, it indicates that its giving 33mA and not tripping the RCD, but another tester the same RCD is tripping at 24mA, which is about normal for a 30mA. Fluke are quoting a fixed repair cost of £216 + VAT, to change the board. Test 4 less are not aptly named as they want £240 + vat as a fixed repair cost! The tester is 6 years old and this is the first problem I've ever had ( apart from a fair bit of operator error in the early days!). Has anyone any suggestions as to what this problem may be or how it can be rectified without a board change?

Take it in for cal, report erratic RCD trip results, and see what the outcome is, they may even quote to fix it, these boards can be repaired if you know where to go, I dont unfortunately.

Cheers.........Howard

Thanks Sir Kit. I rang test 4 less, who calibrated it in March, to get their take on the problem. On the subject of calibration, they said that they just measure what the equipment is testing and issue a certificate with the results, they don't actually adjust anything, apparently the same as all "Calibration" companies. If they can't adjust anything, why do we pay so much for calibration?

Thanks Sir Kit. I rang test 4 less, who calibrated it in March, to get their take on the problem. On the subject of calibration, they said that they just measure what the equipment is testing and issue a certificate with the results, they don't actually adjust anything, apparently the same as all "Calibration" companies. If they can't adjust anything, why do we pay so much for calibration?

Haha...this chestnut!

As an Inst Tech, Calibration means checking an instrument then adjusting it to bring its outputs within specification. All within the quoted cost.

I've no idea how much adjustment these MFTs etc have on them, but surely there must be some.
Test Meter may help on that question.
If the gear can't be calibrated without repair, then extra cost is fair enough.

Reply to Inaccurate RCD test results from my 1653 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net