Discuss Incoming Gas cross bonded off cold water in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

Doing a CU change in a flat, concrete floors and ceilings, just been decorated in hallways and bedrooms. Basically kitchen fitters ripped units out today and the bonding to the main gas has been cross bonded to the water behind units. Water is bonded back to the MET. However incoming water is bonded in a cupboard next to CU (nowhere near kitchen). There is absolutely no way I can get 10mm bonding back to the board without smashing hell out of the place!

Do I need to get this back to the MET or can I note on cert it's cross bonded! Absolute nightmate!

Can you join the gas bond to the water bond with a through crimp so it is one continous cable from the MET to both and it is unbroken?

No, basically main water is bonded next to the front door - goes through a riser to each flat. The boiler (along with gas meter) is in the kitchen. 10mm bonding from gas pipe to the cold on the boiler.

If it's TNCS I'd say you have no choice but to bond the gas in 10mm back to the MET. TNS you might consider the current arrangement satisfactory assuming it tests OK,and write it as a departure. Your call on that,your name on the cert.

I would not be too concerned at all on this.Bear in mind, you did not install this bonding, so you are not initially verifiying it. You can only check / test it as you would an EICR.Use long lead test to confirm a sound connection between MET and the cold pipe you speak of. Ensure BS951 tags are present on earthing clamps. It is still effectively bonded just not exactly to what the non statutory document would like. Note on cert. No worries.

Problem is other spark/kitchen fitter is telling customer it needs to go back to CU! That's the problem here! I can't be bothered going back and forth with the other spark because ideally it should go back to CU! Customer wants me to do the work as she fears Kitchen fitters will over charge!

Problem is other spark/kitchen fitter is telling customer it needs to go back to CU! That's the problem here! I can't be bothered going back and forth with the other spark because ideally it should go back to CU! Customer wants me to do the work as she fears Kitchen fitters will over charge!

If she's willing to pay crack on...

Hell would freeze over before I ever took on board electrical advice from a kitchen fitter. Who is writing the cert, you or kitchen fitter?

I might be misreading the setup, but if the water bond is ok, then there is not a problem with through-crimping the existing bond and extending to the gas (as Leesparky has said)

I know what to do here. Install a bonding clamp on gas pipe with a short piece of 1mm connected to it. Tell kitchen fitter it is an aerial for your wireless bonding arrangement back to MET. He will definately believe you as he does not understand electrical type stuff thingys. Then tell customer it is free. Everyone will love you.

If there's 'negligable impedance' between the bonded cold water main near the CU and the cold feed in the kitchen [i.e. the same pipework with no plastic in between] then from a common sense point of view it will be absolutely fine. As TJ Anderson has said just note it on the certificate and hide that one from the assessor when he next turns up. :p

Reply to Incoming Gas cross bonded off cold water in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net