Discuss Incoming Gas cross bonded off cold water in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I know what to do here. Install a bonding clamp on gas pipe with a short piece of 1mm connected to it. Tell kitchen fitter it is an aerial for your wireless bonding arrangement back to MET. He will definately believe you as he does not understand electrical type stuff thingys. Then tell customer it is free. Everyone will love you.

The main issue I have is this other "spark" being involved! Ideally I'd like the Gas to be bonded back to the MET but if he wasn't involved I'd quite happily have just noted on cert! If the units weren't removed I'd have never have known anyway as Clamp is present on incoming gas pipe and would have tested via a long lead!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what to do here. Install a bonding clamp on gas pipe with a short piece of 1mm connected to it. Tell kitchen fitter it is an aerial for your wireless bonding arrangement back to MET. He will definately believe you as he does not understand electrical type stuff thingys. Then tell customer it is free. Everyone will love you.

It will only work with a green/yellow aerial though !;)

The main issue I have is this other "spark" being involved! Ideally I'd like the Gas to be bonded back to the MET but if he wasn't involved I'd quite happily have just noted on cert! If the units weren't removed I'd have never have known anyway as Clamp is present on incoming gas pipe and would have tested via a long lead!
Just to clarify, I was not serious about the RF bonding suggestion. (I want to patent it first before you lot start using it!)

Last edited:
I dont have a regs book to hand so am working from memory here, but if it serves me correctly then:
If the cross sectional area of the copper of the water pipe is at least equal to the size required for a protective conductor (in this case a main bond) then it may be used as a protective conductor. But steps need to be taken to ensure that the pipe remains unbroken and electrical continuity be maintained if any alterations are carried out.

What Davesparks and TJ have said makes a lot of common sense, and I would agree with them, but the problem is, what happens when there is a leak in that pipe work and Tel's mates turn up with a length of plastic pipe to fix it??

I dont have a regs book to hand so am working from memory here, but if it serves me correctly then:
If the cross sectional area of the copper of the water pipe is at least equal to the size required for a protective conductor (in this case a main bond) then it may be used as a protective conductor. But steps need to be taken to ensure that the pipe remains unbroken and electrical continuity be maintained if any alterations are carried out.

I don't have a regs book handy either....but I am certain this applies to supplementary bonding only, not main bonding.
I still think this hinges on the type of earthing system. If it is TNCS, which unless I've missed something hasn't been stated, then no other option than a 10mm bond back to the MET is acceptable. It is quite possible on a TNCS system that bonding will result in a parallel path for return currents resulting in it carrying a significant load,a lashed up connection via a water pipe would create a hazard in those circumstances.

If we are talking about a loss of neutral (and therefore Earth on a TNCS system), most external gas supply pipes are plastic now anyway so isn't this a bit irrelevant?

If we are talking about a loss of neutral (and therefore Earth on a TNCS system), most external gas supply pipes are plastic now anyway so isn't this a bit irrelevant?

If conditions are as described in reg 528.3.4, then '(ii) fault protection shall be afforded in accordance with the requirements of Section 411.'

Then bonding of metal pipes with plastic service supply, may be required.

I completely agree mate. I would bond the internal copper even if it turned into plastic as it exited the building. However, I thought wire puller was getting at the suitability of the main gas bond to carry large fault currents, and presumably because he was stressing TNCS he meant if the neutral (and hence main earth) was lost the pipe route was not reliable, but if it's plastic outside it won't anyway will it?

I completely agree mate. I would bond the internal copper even if it turned into plastic as it exited the building. However, I thought wire puller was getting at the suitability of the main gas bond to carry large fault currents, and presumably because he was stressing TNCS he meant if the neutral (and hence main earth) was lost the pipe route was not reliable, but if it's plastic outside it won't anyway will it?
Apologies, did misinterpret your post.

Apologies, did misinterpret your post.
none required mate. Not sure if this is all worth getting worried about, as others have said. The pipe works all connected at the boiler anyway and any part of it in any installation could easily be disrupted by plumbing activity. How many people have ever seen or heard of a neutral being lost anyway??

In my own house the CU and boiler are in one cupboard, the gas meter in a separate cupboard on opposite side of kitchen and incoming water at other end of the room. On my last Elecsa assessment I asked if i could bond from MET to the gas at boiler and onto water at boiler and confirm continuity to incoming water and gas and the assessor said put note on cert and all would be fine.

In my own house the CU and boiler are in one cupboard, the gas meter in a separate cupboard on opposite side of kitchen and incoming water at other end of the room. On my last Elecsa assessment I asked if i could bond from MET to the gas at boiler and onto water at boiler and confirm continuity to incoming water and gas and the assessor said put note on cert and all would be fine.
seems logical to me

A protective earth conductor may be a number of things, trunking, SWA armour or even pipe work (excepting any pipe work which contains a flammable material or one belonging to a utility company).

Nothing to do with fault currents,on a TNCS system the bonding conductors may carry a significant current under normal load conditions,thats why there is a requirement for 10mm.

Reply to Incoming Gas cross bonded off cold water in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock