Discuss Incorrectly filled out EICR and the law. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been to look at a job today (consumer unit change) having had a brief look at the existing set up I noticed that there was no earth cable coming up to the flat so I did a quick ZS test on a socket, it was showing 0.13 ohms. The only thing I think is that an earth has been taken off a socket from the downstairs flat. I then noticed that there was no earth going out on the lighting circuit and checked a switch where again there was no earth so I informed the customer that I couldn't do the CU change until this was sorted.
The customer then produced an EICR which was done in 2015 with no mention of the above earthing problems and the r1 r2 readings had been left blank on the test results page. She then told me she had only bought the flat in October and had decorated throughout so wasn't too impressed when I told her that in order to sort out the problems I would have to chase out the walls. She was asking me where she stood legally with the EICR as she could have had money knocked off the price of the flat if it needed rewiring. Anyone know where she stands legally? Cheers

Supposing

It is poor workmanship worthy of complaint, customer might best be guided to the complaints procedure from the installer and then onto their Registration scheme. Insurance would come into this as opposed to legalities, I suggest. Regards

Was the EICR marked as satisfactory and were there any agreed limitations in it?
It is only a report and not a certificate.

Sounds like there is some missing info somewhere in that. I find it hard to believe the earth comes from another flat/socket. I suspect there is an earth somewhere. Maybe a parallel earth? I am surprised you did not quote her for rectification.
As to the legal position I think the term is caveat emptor, where the buyer must be wary, it is up to them to ensure such items are in order. Having bought the flat I guess the cost of persuing a case would be far greater than getting it fixed. Especially as there is little chance of getting anywhere with it. What level of survey did she have? Might be a case there???

Earthing possibly a parallel path through gas & water bonds?

Earthing possibly a parallel path through gas & water bonds?
In the ground floor flat the gas and water bonding are connected into the consumer unit.
The tails for the upstairs flat are taken off the ground floor cut out, there is no main earth going upstairs with the tails yet there is earth at the sockets.

In the ground floor flat the gas and water bonding are connected into the consumer unit.
The tails for the upstairs flat are taken off the ground floor cut out, there is no main earth going upstairs with the tails yet there is earth at the sockets.
Maybe there is a path to earth via the boiler cpc?

we arent allowed to lift boards or move any heavy furniture for eicr's as per request of the landlords/letting agents

certainly wouldnt be ticking the box off if i hadnt found any though! lol

Reply to Incorrectly filled out EICR and the law. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net