Discuss Individual RCBO in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

trebor12345

Hi

I need to check what the electrical requirements (17th addition and Part P) are for RCBO's on a new kitchen extension.

Using the existing house Consumer Unit with one 100Amp 30ma RCBO.

Do all the different new kitchen circuits i.e Ring Main, Cookers (x2), Indiuction Hob, Lighting, Smoke/Fire Detectors, etc require their own individual RCBO? Or is one single RCBO (30ma 100Amp) supplying all circuits acceptable?

Thank you for your replies.

You need 30ma RCD protection so an 100A RCD or RCBO achieves that but its not ideal as you risk nuisance tripping and everything going down.
The smoke fire detectors shouldn't be losing power qhen the main earth leakage protection trips.
Individual RCBOs is a better solution.

I would explain the issues facing an installation with a single upfront rcd plunging into complete darkness......

And then see if they would agree to a cu upgrade and then go for RCBO's.....

Don't forget about making sure that earning and bonding are up to scratch.

Without seeing the unit its hard to confirm but it sounds like that it is. Loads of houses wired like that but its not a good system.
What type of earthing is it?

I would explain the issues facing an installation with a single upfront rcd plunging into complete darkness......

And then see if they would agree to a cu upgrade and then go for RCBO's.....

Don't forget about making sure that earning and bonding are up to scratch.

It's always about the money with you !! :D

Agree with the others here, can you actually get a 100A rcbo. Like already said can you post a picture.

I was just going to say he may have an Rccb in his head

An rcbo is a combination of an mcb and an rcd so offers overcurrent and additional rcd protection. Your rcd only gives the rcd protection.

So the device in the picture is a RCD which provides protection against any earth leakage, is that right? So the individual breakers (one show in the right of the picture) provides the overcurrent protection, is that right?

Looks like a split load board so the rcd only protects some of the circuits, probably the power. I must say the rcd looks a bit wonky like it isn't fitted correctly.

Hi

I need to check what the electrical requirements (17th addition and Part P) are for RCBO's on a new kitchen extension.

Using the existing house Consumer Unit with one 100Amp 30ma RCBO.

Do all the different new kitchen circuits i.e Ring Main, Cookers (x2), Indiuction Hob, Lighting, Smoke/Fire Detectors, etc require their own individual RCBO? Or is one single RCBO (30ma 100Amp) supplying all circuits acceptable?

Thank you for your replies.

So that we know how to pitch replies, and since your profile says that you have no electrical qualifications, are you an electrician?

Yes thats correct. The 100A raining is just the max current its designed to work at. But it won't trip at 100A it woukd most likely just overheat and or fail to release correctly.
Also RCBOs normally have their own neutral fly lead.

Reply to Individual RCBO in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net