Discuss Induction hob and electric oven running from same 32 questions... Again in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Here we go again. There is no regulation. If you think there is then please supply the number.
But in any case, from #1

So it's there, reg or not..

Best practice and not my post says "should" rather than "has to"

The reg about "minimising convenience" is the one that is most applicable..................

Just imagine the fault on the cable to the oven, oven can't be moved, so the RCD can't be reset .................................. seen it so many times.

Missing out DP "accessible" isolation seems to be the norm these days .................. sooner or later home owners will find out the hard way what this really means and how inconvenient it really is

Why have you booked a spark for kitchen works when he is going on a long break?

And why are you randomly changing things on his behalf?

Also...Any circuit that is moved around and buried in the walls will need 30mA RCD protection.

n
Why have you booked a spark for kitchen works when he is going on a long break?

And why are you randomly changing things on his behalf?

Also...Any circuit that is moved around and buried in the walls will need 30mA RCD protection.

Hmm...not that this warrants a reply, However I Feel you may be a bit worked up and frustrated regarding my post and feel as a good citizen i may be able to put your mind at ease.
(Q)Why have you booked a spark for kitchen works when he is going on a long break? (A) he started the work 6 weeks ago he is booked back in on the 17 th of may as i needed time to plaster and fit the kitchen, if he chooses to go on Holiday between initial installation and the 17th of may Thats his choice i hope he has a excellent break.

(Q)And why are you randomly changing things on his behalf? (A)I only changed a single box to a double (explained further up the thread) this was by no means a random act i had full control of my body and mind when doing this. Also...

(Q)Any circuit that is moved around and buried in the walls will need 30mA RCD protection not really a question however maybe read the thread back.

Hope this does not anger you,in fact it would be great if you maybe were a little nicer to folk just looking for a bit of advice, The bulk of the traffic that keeps forums like this going come from people like me, i have been polite. good rule of thumb....treat people as you would to their face, have a great evening

@123 the cooker circuit is RCD protected. See the pictures!

It's not limited to the cooker circuit though. In general a kitchen can entail movement of Water Heater, Central Heating, Lighting. If it was all in that place before fine no problem, but once you start to move and relocate it then it's RCD time.

Yes, 32A will be more than adequate.
He/you will need a dual appliance connector if both appliances wire in.

CLICK ME

If the oven is on a plug, he will need to add a 13A socket. This can be wired from the cooker connection point/

I have an existing double electric oven with a dedicated supply, think its 32Amp. The oven has a maximum rating of 5.8 kW.

I want to fit an induction hob (7.4kW) nearby can I use the same cable or will I need a dedicated supply for the hob ?

Excuse my ignorance but I have been using this calculation (rightly or wrongly) Total demand (theoretically) 13.2 kW which equates to 55 Amps.

Take 10 Amps off and multiply by 30% = 45Amps @ 30% = 13.5 Amp plus 10 Amp and 5 Amp safety margin giving a total Amperage of 28.5 Amps, would current 32 Amp supply cable therefore be adequate??

I have an existing double electric oven with a dedicated supply, think its 32Amp. The oven has a maximum rating of 5.8 kW.

I want to fit an induction hob (7.4kW) nearby can I use the same cable or will I need a dedicated supply for the hob ?

Excuse my ignorance but I have been using this calculation (rightly or wrongly) Total demand (theoretically) 13.2 kW which equates to 55 Amps.

Take 10 Amps off and multiply by 30% = 45Amps @ 30% = 13.5 Amp plus 10 Amp and 5 Amp safety margin giving a total Amperage of 28.5 Amps, would current 32 Amp supply cable therefore be adequate??
Yes.

I apply diversity to the two appliances separately. Which computes to 31A ish, not adding the 5A for the socket.

It would be. If its a new kitchen or refurb, I might be tempted to run a new radial for one or the other, just to cover its right on the limit and provide separate supply if one of your devices go wibble, and provides separate isolation. You can then add a socket ccc.

Reply to Induction hob and electric oven running from same 32 questions... Again in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock