Discuss Industrial unit suply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mars6394

Hi guys im just wondering my building supply for my buisness is shared with next door but recently they have been isolating my side of the building which is turning the whole unit side down of my buisness. I cannot gain access to next door regarding me turning it on or stopping them turning it off.is this setup correct or should i have my own supply from electrical supplier.??? Solely for my buisness. In means of reading my energy consumption i have a little unit fitted upstairs and iv never seen this before in practice. But all my supplies are fed from next doors unit.

Points of supply should be readily available for isolation purposes, can you and your neighbor come to some arrangement to have the supply altered to give you access, he is the one controlling any isolation imo he is in the wrong, you should speak to them, to come to some sort of amicable arrangement.

if you're south of watford, it's pistols or swords. north of watford, it's pie fights or welly throwing to determine the winner.

Tanks guysill try to have a cha with the owner next door soon as he is never there and also to my supplier is this a big job in regarding switch to my own supply

Tanks guysill try to have a cha with the owner next door soon as he is never there and also to my supplier is this a big job in regarding switch to my own supply
With out being there and seeing the sight it's hard to say, but it shouldn't be that difficult.

Can we just clarify here... are both properties owned by yourself and your neighbour or is this a landlord arrangement, I realise you say 'my property' but that can be just casual wording as in 'your business address'.

Where is your meter ?... is this also in the other property, if you own the building your in and your meter and front end isolation are in someone elses property then I would be ringing your supplier for advice, if the power is in an out building or such on your neighbours property then as above - an amicable arrangement needs to be sorted as you are required to be able to access for meter reading and isolation purposes.

At the moment its rented but in the process of buying just my side of the unit so the supply will be on next doors property not mine.the meter was recently fitted in my building looks like a small consumer unit with a little lcd meter screen in it but the isolation part is in next doors unit as they keep shutting my power of for my buisness.is it something that should be brought up with the landlord before i purchase the unit/property

At present then the landlord should provide means for you to access your isolation even if it be by a phone call and him/her coming out with a key, if your business is hitting financial loss due to the present set up then I would be expressing that to the landlord to ensure your access or that the other neighbour is stopped from isolating your supply.

If you are been sold the building then the landlord has to either have an new supply fitted at his cost or reflect in the price of the property that it will require a new supply or alteration to the DNO cutout so your power is on the live side of the neighbours incoming supply thus no isolation point that can be turned off in the adjoining property.

Is the meter in your property a private meter (as I suspect - landlord owned) ?

I would discuss this concern with your landlord, personally I can't see him selling you the property without addressing the shared power set-up, he may have already made enquiries about having the supply divided, how this is achieved will require the DNO to inspect the set-up and quote the landlord.

Ps the Rented part was crucial information here and would have changed the advice others gave you, please try give all relevent info in your opening post, had I not asked then the advice you were given would be misguided and incorrect.

Also at 110 posts it would be nice to see you clicking the thanks option to show your appreciation every now and then when deserved ;)

Last edited:
Tanks darkwood i have now consulted the landlord who owns the propety at present he has now passed it over to our supplier as he was unaware this setup we have was present thanks for clearing a few things up regarding my situation excellent thanks again

Tanks darkwood i have now consulted the landlord who owns the property at present he has now passed it over to our supplier as he was unaware this setup we have was present thanks for clearing a few things up regarding my situation excellent thanks again

As Darkwood says, but out of interest why does your neighbour switch off you supply? This situation is very common though. Landlords / property owners who have a large property then split it up to smaller units / rooms and sub-let them out. Landlords / Owners don't want to pay for new individual supplies from the DNO's to new dwellings created and the associated electricians cost.

Reply to Industrial unit suply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net