Discuss industrial welder. any advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Calculate cpc size using the adiabatic equation, exactly the same as any other circuit.

And put your best tin hat on before anyone else answers this, if you aren't on a wind up you are going to be catching some serious flak!

To save future embarrasment I deleted it.

2 phases. No neutral. And cpc
80 amp fuses per phase. Max leakage imo can be no higher than 160amp.

First time in dealing with welders not 100%

No, they use the cpc as a cpc and a neutral as a neutral if one is required. It sounds like the machine you have is designed to operate on two phases of a three phase supply, unless of course it's designed for a two phase supply?

You need a lot more than a little guidance, you clearly don't understand the first thing about the job you are attempting to do.

thinking worst case senario. Do welders use a cpc to act as a neutral. little guidance is all I need and I'm finding it really hard to get it on here.

Some welders have 200amp - 400amp earth clips.....

I think you are getting confused with the terminology,referring to the OUTPUT side of the machine.

The terms and figures only make sense,if this is the case.

Do a bit of research,and all will become apparent...but do not attempt,if unsure,and some other human is to test its' operation...:conehead:

Think along the lines of electrode (live) and work piece (neutral return). The I/P and O/P are two separate entities.

Where I’ve seen things go badly wrong is when the CPC has been used for the return. Do some reading on the subject, as a hint, don’t bother looking in BS7671.

Think along the lines of electrode (live) and work piece (neutral return). The I/P and O/P are two separate entities.

Where I’ve seen things go badly wrong is when the CPC has been used for the return. Do some reading on the subject, as a hint, don’t bother looking in BS7671.

Yep, I recently had a call out because a welder had set the cpc on fire in the DB and it even made the trunking rattle, lol. I repaired the circuit and offered to check the welder to make sure it was wired correctly but they thought it was dangerous so the had ditched it before I got there...

Yep, I recently had a call out because a welder had set the cpc on fire in the DB and it even made the trunking rattle, lol. I repaired the circuit and offered to check the welder to make sure it was wired correctly but they thought it was dangerous so the had ditched it before I got there...

Welding sets have been the bain of my life, more correctly idle welders who can’t be bothered with the return.

Cables on fire, bearings seized, you name it, they can bugger it up!

Being back acetylene welding, that won't bugger your earth wires up!

May sound a little sad, but when I was a lad, I did spend some time in the welding shop ONLY because I was fascinated by the cutting torch and how good the welders were at cutting thick plate. Anyway when I eventually got them to let me do some cutting I was ecstatic, can still remember the day....

May sound a little sad, but when I was a lad, I did spend some time in the welding shop ONLY because I was fascinated by the cutting torch and how good the welders were at cutting thick plate. Anyway when I eventually got them to let me do some cutting I was ecstatic, can still remember the day....

Ive got some of my grandad's oxy torches in the shed, he was a diesel fitter working on mining machinery and trucks etc in australia. theres a normal size cutting torch, straight torch about 2' long and a circle cutting guide to hold the big torch and cut perfect circles.
Some of the other gems he's passed on include a 3 legged puller which could have a role in war of the worlds and an 1" drive socket set.

Anything I have no use for or don't want gets donated to charity

Any advice on where best to research welders. As yous say noT bs7671

Cheers fellas. I'm having a debate at work and I advise they oversized the phase cables (ain't disputed the cpc as that's what I'm working out lol)

Reply to industrial welder. any advice in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock