Discuss Info regarding part p in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi, I'm looking for a little bit of information regarding part p and I'm hoping you can please help. I work for a company that provides student accommodation. We have over 500 rooms and do basic maintenance work. At present when a bathroom light or bathroom extractor fan needs replacing our boss gets a contractor in to do the work, but he wants us to do these as he says it's costing him too much money. Am I right in thinking we shouldn't be installing anything, even like for like in a shower room unless we have a part p? We also hard wire microwaves in in the kitchens, is this allowed without a part p? Any info would be appreciated.

Probably best if you were to download Part P of the building regulations as this gives the authoritative guidance.

In relation to Part P replacement, repairs and maintenance are not notifiable work.
Installation of a new bathroom light or extractor fan (inside the zones of a bathroom i.e. within 60cm of the bath or shower edge.) would be notifiable work.
This is of course based on assuming the rooms that you are working on are dwellings.

Moving outside of Part P and onto the wiring regulations, only persons who are competent to do the work should be doing any electrical installation and compliance with the wiring regulations is required.

From what you describe, so long as you know about the requirements of the wiring regulations and you are competent to apply them, then the work you have specified is OK for you to do.

Last edited:
I would say if you are not a member of a CPS scheme, apart from changing a light bulb, you can not do anything of the sort. Especially change extractor fans. You would need to know the required air changes and cubic metres to work that out and measure it against building regs requirements. You would need to know safe isolation technique. I think you should ask your boss to get off his derriere and go do it. Alternatively he could pay for some one to be trained and keep it in house. The trouble with extractor fans aside from being in a special location, is that they have two lives in them unless you properly understand that, and the requirements for fusing, and a triple pole isolation switch I think you are being asked to put your life in potential danger and that of others without that knowledge. Your boss would be contravening the H&S act and EAWR regulations which are potentially criminal offences. Oh dear, all to save a buck or two. Perhaps he should put up the price of the rent to cover it all.
Has anyone talked about risk assessment? Method statements? Have you got test equipment? Do you know how to fill in certificates? You had better have all those things in place. Didn't think so. Sigh! ok rant over.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I'm not happy to be doing anything electrical in the bathroom and expressed this to him. I'll download a copy of the regulations from the link above and leave a copy on his desk.

Am I right in thinking we shouldn't be installing anything

unless we have a part p?

We also hard wire microwaves in in the kitchens, is this allowed without a part p?

Richard gave a definitive and very correct answer
I have broken your question down to give a little guidance

There is nothing other than competence to restrict installation work
Some of that installation work is notifiable to Labc before commencing,mainly larger jobs eg consumer unit changes,Rewiring

You can't "Have Part P" Part P is part of the Building regulations,its not to be confused with competence or Registration schemes,the work that is done must conform to the requirements of Part P of the Building regs (as does most other building work)

3 Hard wiring appliances may include the advice to have the appliance connected by a electrician who is a scheme member (for some strange reason,a member of one particular brand) but if you consider yourself competent crack on

Would the notification process be applicable in student halls, i.e. do they come under the definition of a dwelling? Just asking.

Would the notification process be applicable in student halls, i.e. do they come under the definition of a dwelling? Just asking.
A dwelling is a dwelling-house or flat and is a self contained premises for residential use (i.e living and sleeping).
However a room for residential purposes is not a dwelling-house or flat and includes a hall of residence or similar premises where there are rooms for residence but the rooms are not independent of the other parts of the building e.g. the rooms are not self contained or have communal kitchens/bathrooms and the like. But this does not include hospitals.
The Op does not specify the nature of the properties involved which is why I qualified my bit by assuming it is a dwelling.

I guess, in this situation, whereby a company is responsible for the maintenance of the property (s), it would not make sense for them to have to notify LBC of works. I believe Part P was introduced to limit the extent of unqualified work being carried out in domestic properties by individuals, not supposedly qualified companies who would have been properly vetted as suitable by their 'corporate customers'.

Reply to Info regarding part p in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net