Discuss Informal chat with an electrical company in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How old are you? what qualifications have you got? have you created a CV? what WORK experience do you have?

My son is looking for an apprenticeship atm in a different field

With or without a tie?
depends on the style of the suit, only time ive worn a tie was for my army interview lol

any informal interview ive worn a suit, i suppose psychologically im telling the employer, even on my worst day im still going to make an effort

They won't test you for your skills but commitment and why you want the job and to work in the industry, wear a suit decent shirt and a tie not a Next job they stand out a like at a chav wedding (most forum members will baulk at that comment as they own one) the pay will be rubbish so you have funding at home and help, you want to study and to better yourself and that you have always had an interest in electrical, mechanical workings and can't see yourself in an office job.

Come on guys, help the lad out for a change........ and don't be cocks, we where apprentices once, well the "proper" sparks on here at least......

Never underestimate the power of a suit.
When I was working as a mere cable puller but studying hard for my quals I was offered an interview for an IT job. My Mum told me to wear a suit so I bought a second hand one (I can still smell the mortuary embalming fluid to this day).
I wore a tie, polished shoes and a smile. Everything else was complete BS... as was my CV.
I got the job and had to learn REALLY quickly as I warmed into the role.

Today however you will more likely need to be better prepared, but the suit... The suit is a must. ;)

They won't test you for your skills but commitment and why you want the job and to work in the industry, wear a suit decent shirt and a tie not a Next job they stand out a like at a chav wedding (most forum members will baulk at that comment as they own one) the pay will be rubbish so you have funding at home and help, you want to study and to better yourself and that you have always had an interest in electrical, mechanical workings and can't see yourself in an office job.

Come on guys, help the lad out for a change........ and don't be cocks, we where apprentices once, well the "proper" sparks on here at least......
next fits the bill for a suit that ill wear once every year or so, not much point getting a tailored suit as ill most likely have bloated up within a year

next fits the bill for a suit that ill wear once every year or so, not much point getting a tailored suit as ill most likely have bloated up within a year
I thought you were like me suave, sophisticated and rich spend money like it grows on trees, on fast women and loose cars or is that the other way around God knows as I am doing a line of charlie off a hookers bare breasts so I am off my fecking head, I digress apologies....

Next suits are for losers and low life's up in court for thieving from the local Spar or CoOp.

According to your profile you're aged 19 so chances are they're going to assess you as a person far more that you're electrical abilities. They're going to be looking for someone that's committed, keen, driven, neat and tidy, punctual, organised, inquisitive, confident but not to the point of being cocky. Tell them about your supportive family, your numerous hobbies and pastimes, your many interests....you get the picture.

Do some homework on the company, things like what their core business is, how long they've been in business, how many employees, their geographical coverage, are they expanding?...are they innovating? and think about how you can convince them that you'd be a good fit. Convince them that you're sufficiently committed to be in it for the long haul, you're looking at this as a long term career and how you might be an asset to them after the apprenticeship not just any old job that'll do for now.

I disagree with the suit suggestions, if it specifically says informal then why would you blatantly ignore that and wear a suit and tie? Just go in pants and a shirt or whatever you think would be smart/business casual....not jeans...not tee shirt and make sure any tattoos are covered. Make sure your personal hygiene is up to scratch take a small notepad and pen and don't be afraid to take notes.

According to your profile you're aged 19 so chances are they're going to assess you as a person far more that you're electrical abilities. They're going to be looking for someone that's committed, keen, driven, neat and tidy, punctual, organised, inquisitive, confident but not to the point of being cocky. Tell them about your supportive family, your numerous hobbies and pastimes, your many interests....you get the picture.

Do some homework on the company, things like what their core business is, how long they've been in business, how many employees, their geographical coverage, are they expanding?...are they innovating? and think about how you can convince them that you'd be a good fit. Convince them that you're sufficiently committed to be in it for the long haul, you're looking at this as a long term career and how you might be an asset to them after the apprenticeship not just any old job that'll do for now.

I disagree with the suit suggestions, if it specifically says informal then why would you blatantly ignore that and wear a suit and tie? Just go in pants and a shirt or whatever you think would be smart/business casual....not jeans...not tee shirt and make sure any tattoos are covered. Make sure your personal hygiene is up to scratch take a small notepad and pen and don't be afraid to take notes.
what if your version of informal is a suit?, i wouldnt bother with a tie, i wouldnt take notes though, if i was an interviewer and the interviewee took out a notepad id think they are forgetful or are taking the ----

Suit and tie, CV Questions:
What training will I receive?
What sort of installations will I be involved in?
Questions they may ask you:
Why do you want to be an Electrician?
Why did you pick / choose this firm to apply foe a job?
Have you worked before, if yes doing what?
Do you have any problems with getting dirty at work?
Dou you have a clean driving licence?
Have you ever been introuble with the Police (criminally)?

Could go on you will just have to play the rest by ear, Oh and do some research on the company.
Good Luck

Reply to Informal chat with an electrical company in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net