Discuss Infra Red radiators, or........ in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Could you outline what your understanding of "the immersions" consist of please ?

Conventionally they are a resistive element immersed within a storage tank of water, which uses electricity as the energy source, to heat the water.

A quick smoke packet calc indicates that over a 10 year plan (Simple sums no IRR or accountancy stuff), the full electric system will be 36% more expensive than a biomass system. Biomass has very high install costs and annual service. The infra red is purchase and plug in for £2,400. All the wiring can be done at the total wiring of the house anyway, just maybe a couple of days more work.
Not as scary as the initial thoughts of "KEEP AWAY FROM ELECTRIC HEATING YOU FOOL".
For a totally pipe free, maintenance free system, with no boiler on show.
I'm not convinced it's a "No" yet for the Infra reds. I really need somebody that has this actual kit fitted, with true running costs and actual feeling the heat of the kit.

Could you outline what your understanding of "the immersions" consist of please ?

Conventionally they are a resistive element immersed within a storage tank of water, which uses electricity as the energy source, to heat the water.

Yes. 300 litre, highly insulated tank of water, heated by an immersed electric element.
In this context, I don't know what else you could have meant?

lol

good luck with your project.
The ASHP will still need an electric element to heat for DHW, the store will still be immersion. And because we don't really want underfloor heating, the wet rads would also need an electric boost. But even UFH is not a no, yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
wet rads, fed from a TS, which is heated via an ASHP will not normally need "an electric boost" provided you have sized the rads correctly, and assuming the house will be insulated far in excess of the currently BR requirements.

"the store will be an immersion" - this just tells me you don't know what a thermal store (in relation to this topic ) is.

House is not that big! Unfortunately.
CU is a MK Sentry 21 way, or similar.

OP, if you are thinking of an all electric property, 11kW of storage heaters, 4 x immersion heaters (your suggestion), electric shower, electric oven and the other sockets & lighting etc, you are going to be very close to the typical 100amp domestic supply, what supply do you have?

No, owner occupied. No other sources of heat. Existing panel heaters being replaced. Customer wants them installed on the ceilings, which are all over 3m high. Based on the calculations from the supplier (Herschel in this instance) the power demand is about a third of the amount of the existing panel heaters (which could have been over specified but I haven't bothered trying to work it out).

OP, if you are thinking of an all electric property, 11kW of storage heaters, 4 x immersion heaters (your suggestion), electric shower, electric oven and the other sockets & lighting etc, you are going to be very close to the typical 100amp domestic supply, what supply do you have?
100 amp, single phase

wet rads, fed from a TS, which is heated via an ASHP will not normally need "an electric boost" provided you have sized the rads correctly, and assuming the house will be insulated far in excess of the currently BR requirements.

"the store will be an immersion" - this just tells me you don't know what a thermal store (in relation to this topic ) is.
OK, the librarian level of technical term isn't correct. An immersion heater, to me, is a big cylinder, with both the electrical element in it, and a coil fed from a heating source for heat exchange purposes.
ASHP temps are very low, as you know, so yes, underfloor is one answer, or colossal ugly fat rads. Output temp is 40 degrees. To get it to 65, a sensible temperature for DHW or rads, needs a boost. The CoP plummets due to more electric being used.
I need to find out off the Building regs guy, if the underfloor heating backboard matrix has to be on top of the 75mm selotex or can be subtracted from it. And, if the ASHP fan is noisy, it wouldn't be allowed by English heritage anyway.

And, the prices of the ASHP is a p155 take just like the biomass boilers. Several thousand quid for basically a reverse fridge with a condenser and fan. Again, they know you are getting a CGI grant, so hike up the retail price.

Reply to Infra Red radiators, or........ in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net