Discuss Infra Red radiators, or........ in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OP, if you are thinking of an all electric property, 11kW of storage heaters, 4 x immersion heaters (your suggestion), electric shower, electric oven and the other sockets & lighting etc, you are going to be very close to the typical 100amp domestic supply, what supply do you have?
But that arithmetic assumes all of the kit is on at once. Don't say storage heater....already dismissed as junk :)

Then if you are going 'all electric' that's another consideration
As per OP, I have a blank canvas and exploring all possibilities. Dismissed oil, gas, solar, GSHP.
The non monetary value is also swaying my decisions. Biomass pellets are delivered on a tonne pallet. I have to store these in my house, obviously the order for next tonne will be when I still have say 25% of previous left. That's a lot of storage! Cannot build an external hopper. The infra red panels are very attractive, and out of the way, most of mine would be ceiling mounted.
However, if I go electric and it turns out poo, I will have a very expensive remedy, or leave pipes on show.....like hell that will happen.

My final comment - the OP seems to be expecting to install a cheap system, expecting it to be cheap to run.

An expensive system to install is only expensive once, an expensive system to run is always going to be expensive.

My final comment - the OP seems to be expecting to install a cheap system, expecting it to be cheap to run.

An expensive system to install is only expensive once, an expensive system to run is always going to be expensive.
Exactly. But, the fear of an expensive to run system "Could" be based on all of our previous experience/baggage. The electric technology is racing forward at present. I'm exploring all available directions.

I'm not sure that electric heating technology is really racing forwards, resistive heating elements are as close as you'll get to a 100% efficient means of converting electrical energy into heat energy.

There are an awful lot of manufacturers claiming to have re-invented this particular wheel at the moment, I don't think any of them really have though!

House is not that big! Unfortunately.
CU is a MK Sentry 21 way, or similar.
Supply is not an issue. As stated in o.p.
I will be have normal rungs up n down.
Heating rings up n down.
Kitchen ring. Utility room ring.
Radial for outside sockets and possible garden lights. Radials as required for immersion heaters. Radial for shower in downstairs cloak/wetroom.
Air pump is a consideration, but the wet rads temp is considerably lower than a conventional boiler. Might consider air for the immersion heaters though. Ground pumps is a no, as stated in o.p.

How can you know what size CU your electrician will fit if you don't even know what heating method you will use and therefore the number of circuits required?

Why are you intent on installing ring circuits for the heating? This is a very poor installation design.

How can you know what size CU your electrician will fit if you don't even know what heating method you will use and therefore the number of circuits required?

Why are you intent on installing ring circuits for the heating? This is a very poor installation design.

I expect he's already bought it!

I expect he's already bought it!

The electric heating idea has only come along in the past month.
If I do go that way, why would it be a bad idea to have a separate ring? Such a load of 11kw, for several hours, on a circuit using other stuff too? Surely safer on its own ring?
Remember, there is no wiring at present, the previous wiring is ripped out, and it was all in the wrong place anyway. Nothing is chased out. The cables will be in conduit along the floor then hidden by the selotex/boards/laminate, upstairs the conduit will be chased out of the 70mm of screed on the concrete floor. I can have as many circuits as feasible, allowing for future expansion. The only extra cost is the pennies for cabling and the extra RCBO (Or whatever as necessary) in the CU. Sparky will be wanting 7-8k for the job, adding the odd £50 is nothing.
The price difference between a 11 way and 21 way CU is also lost in the noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that electric heating technology is really racing forwards, resistive heating elements are as close as you'll get to a 100% efficient means of converting electrical energy into heat energy.

There are an awful lot of manufacturers claiming to have re-invented this particular wheel at the moment, I don't think any of them really have though!
Hence, as per my OP........I need real reports, not the "Frequently asked questions" of the websites selling the kit.

If I do go that way, why would it be a bad idea to have a separate ring? Such a load of 11kw, for several hours, on a circuit using other stuff too? Surely safer on its own ring?
QUOTE]

A ring final circuit has been designed for socket outlets, not fixed appliances like your proposed heaters. It is not intend to connect such loads, and appendix 15 BS7671 recommends loads of over 2 kW, should have their own dedicated radial circuit.

A ring final circuit has been designed for socket outlets, not fixed appliances like your proposed heaters. It is not intend to connect such loads, and appendix 15 BS7671 recommends loads of over 2 kW, should have their own dedicated radial circuit

A ring final circuit has been designed for socket outlets, not fixed appliances like your proposed heaters. It is not intend to connect such loads, and appendix 15 BS7671 recommends loads of over 2 kW, should have their own dedicated radial circuit
It's good to know my logic thinking is in alignment with the law. Cheers.

Remember, there is no wiring at present, the previous wiring is ripped out, and it was all in the wrong place anyway. Nothing is chased out. The cables will be in conduit along the floor then hidden by the selotex/boards/laminate, upstairs the conduit will be chased out of the 70mm of screed on the concrete floor. I can have as many circuits as feasible, allowing for future expansion. The only extra cost is the pennies for cabling and the extra RCBO (Or whatever as necessary) in the CU. Sparky will be wanting 7-8k for the job, adding the odd £50 is nothing.
The price difference between a 11 way and 21 way CU is also lost in the noise.

A better design is to have a radial circuit for each heater, or each small logical group of heaters, e.g. Bedroom and associated ensuite on one circuit. The ring circuit was not designed for supplying fixed heavy long duration loads such as heaters, the advantages of a ring over radial circuit are lost when it supplies only fixed loads.
Individual circuits also result in much less disruption under fault conditions and can allow for simpler control wiring or more options for fixed overall control.

Reply to Infra Red radiators, or........ in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net