Discuss Infrared heating systems in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Shack

Hi, I've been asked by a customer to install an electric heating system. There is an old warm air system in there at the moment and no gas supply to the flats. I've had a look around and have seen infrared being raved about, has anyone installed or got any experience? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Cheers, Paul

Doesn't infrared heating only heat your body and not the surrounding air and building?

This is a load of old cobblers that the anti IR people say, Heat is Infra-Red, it is energy at a lower wavelength that visible light. The way Infra-Red lamps work is tailored to a frequency that the human body responds most too, but surfaces etc would still be heated, just to a lesser degree than other frequencies of Infra-Red that they may absorb more.

Thanks for all of the replies. It is a smallish 2 bed ground floor flat, solid floors and double glazed so should be fairly well insulated. Don't really want to go the storage heater route. I have considered an electric combi style boiler but as it's solid floors pipework would have to go surface. Hadn't thought about utilising existing duct work to move the heat around, worth some thinking time. Has anyone installed any IR as I would be interested to know how it performed and what the customer thought?

I would install electric radiators in the rooms for a two bed flat.
Generally warm air ducted heating is inefficient, but it may be installed well.
IR heaters is just a fancy electric fire!

Best off getting a decent electric heater, I don't think anyone would like to be sitting in their lounge watching TV in a red glow from an IR heater.

Modern electric heaters are a solid construction, have ducts/fins to guide the air through and are much more efficient meaning you can also go with a lower power output, just dont put some crappy convector heater in.

Infrared heaters only heat bodies and surfaces. They do not hear air. If you walked into a room it would seem cold then you would only warm up after a while with sitting in front of the infrared heater, then you would be too hot. You only ever see infrared heaters in warehouses or churches. Electric panel heaters can be good if the building is well insulated. Easy to install, no maintenance and can look neat and tidy.

Reply to Infrared heating systems in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock