Discuss Inspection and testing temporary supplies in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lex101

Hi all

I have a contract starting soon to test temporary supplies on a construction site.
The supplies are provided by mobile dbs with comando plugs and the supply is 110V.

Would the testing be done with a PAT tester or physically testing inside the db?

Would all circuits be 100% test or can a sample percentage be used if the installation is sound?

Has anyone got experience of what I could be up against as I have only ever tested fixed hard wiring.

Many thanks

It is up to you as the person carrying out the testing to establish what needs testing, to what extent and how often. Testing temporary supplies is a bit different to fixed hard wiring, you do have to think a lot more about the testing you are going to carry out rather than just following what's written in the book.

And don't forget to make sure your efli tester is capable of testing at 110V and that you are familiar with the requirements for reduced voltage supplies

Hi all

I have a contract starting soon to test temporary supplies on a construction site.
The supplies are provided by mobile dbs with comando plugs and the supply is 110V.

Would the testing be done with a PAT tester or physically testing inside the db?

Would all circuits be 100% test or can a sample percentage be used if the installation is sound?

Has anyone got experience of what I could be up against as I have only ever tested fixed hard wiring.

Many thanks

As you are in training, do you have a mentor? :)

Hi all

Many thanks

Your profile has you down as an Apprentice currently training, not sure at what stage you are at with your training. To quote "you have a contract" are you sure you should be doing this work on your own? you obviously have very little knowledge of this subject, that's not your fault, perhaps your mentor should get involved.

Last edited:
Your profile has you down as an Apprentice currently training, not sure at what stage you are at with your training. To quote "you have a contract" are you sure you should be doing this work on your own? you obviously have very little knowledge of this subject, that's not your fault, perhaps your mentor should get involved.

I'll have to change it to qualified electrician now. Cheers for highlighting that.

What I meant was the company I work for have the contract and have thrown me in at the deep end. They just presume I can test anything but I thought I'd try and inform myself before it all starts.

Where can I find info about testing reduced temporary supplies? There won't be any mentor for sure!

As I said, fixed wiring is not a problem for me, I just haven't seen mobile dbs before and need to know if it's a case of disconnecting the commando plug that connects to the 110V transformer and testing each circuit from there.

Usually the inspection and testing is restricted to the site equipment provided by the main contractor.
Individual trades would be responsible for testing their own equipment and leads.
Main tests are: earth continuity, insulation resistance, the operation of any RCDs, along with a visual inspection for damage.

Reply to Inspection and testing temporary supplies in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net