Discuss Inspection Camera / Endoscope With Long Range in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marvo

-
Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
I already have one that works well for viewing objects that are close but the maximum distance it's good for is about half a meter. I'm in the market for another inspection camera but I need one with a long focus range maybe between 30cm and 4-5 meters. Just wondered if anyone knew of such an item hopefully at a reasonable price.

The one I have is a cheap, nasty, no-name one but it works okayish for very short distances. You can't change the lenses, in fact you can't do anything with it apart from turning it on and off, the focus and lens is fixed. The main reason i need a longer view range is for inspecting the inside of sealed storage tanks and for use inside air ducting systems etc.

My cheap and tacky inspection camera seems to be able to manage at almost all ranges however it is very dependent on the light source, if I use it as a camera in the open I get a clear picture, if it is in the dark using the integral light then the range is only about 30cm because the light source is very weak. However if I add a few more torches I can see further.
inspection-camera.jpg
After all that what I am asking is can you get a good picture in good light at any range or is it really that the focus is short range?
If the former then attaching an additional brighter light to the camera may resolve the issue.

Hi Richard, I've experimented with my existing unit and even with good bright lighting you get a very poor image if anything is more than a meter away, everything is just poorly focused and vague. I think the problem is the high angle of vision it's designed to provide which is about 60 degrees. Obviously to see something that's a few centimeters away you need a wide angle lens but I suspect to find a camera that will give good images at several meters away the field of view would need to be maybe 25-30 degrees or even less.

I'm in the process of looking at several different options, I've going to experiment with a couple of GoPro cameras I've manage to borrow from a friend but they're a bit too large, I'm also looking at the possibility of using a security system pencil type camera in conjunction with a bluetooth transmitter.

Basically I'm just hoping to benefit from the knowledge of someone who might already have looked at or done some homework on a similar system. I'm sure there must be long range endoscopes already off the shelf so I'm keen not to waste time reinventing the wheel if it's not necessary but obviously cost is also a big consideration when I'm paying for it with a currency which is toilet paper by first world standards.

Just for comparison I have taken some pictures of my camera's views in various situations.
This is not a high quality camera but does seem to have infinite focus just not infinite light range.
I hate to suggest purchasing even a ÂŁ40 camera that may not be suitable (and also I can only quickly find one supplier as the supplier from whom I bought this no longer sells them (which explains to constant price reductions they had!)).
Taking a photo of a screen does not come out well but hopefully these came out OK.
inspection camera views.jpg

Lol, the last thing I'll be using it for is this ^^^

Thanks for the suggestions. I had a look at the specs but I couldn't find info on the focal length and the distance the camera can actually see. Do you own one of these? Can the camera give a decent clear picture of objects that are 6 or 8 feet away from it?

Marvo - what is it that is preventing you from getting camera closer to the inspection area? I had an email through from Super Rod a couple of days ago advertising their new camera on a pole via bluetooth (or some flavour of RF) which looks quite nice.

I have not got one yet but I have looked into inspection cameras quite a bit and for me I feel this ones pretty good. I can call them if you like and ask them as I wouldn't mind knowing myself.

I have just spoken to them and they said they honestly do not know, it may not be a great picture at 6 - 8 ft. They said its more designed for the upto 2 meters distance.

Ill keep looking...

Reply to Inspection Camera / Endoscope With Long Range in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net