Discuss Inspection question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

mhar

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A flat with a multitude of downlights. I am not convinced that the G5.3 fittings are firerated and they are mounted through a double boarded ceiling which is a fire barrier (confirmed with the original architects). The fittings are made from a pressed metal which is very thin and are secured by sideways pressure springs into the hole with barely 1mm of the surround covering the ceiling hole - easily disturbed leaving a gap. There are no markings at all on the lights, not even a manufacturers name. On the plus side these fittings do not have any vent holes, there is some seal (I would guess IP3X) where the cables enter but this does not appear to me to be an intumescant material.
Whilst I passed my 2391 a year ago this is my first EICR as I have held back knowing that the inspection side would be my weakness and I required more experience, however I thought that a flat converted only 6 years ago and with only four circuits should be pretty straightforward!
As I am unable to verify if these are fire rated then the simple answer would be to put n/v against this section and to recommend further investigation however I am not comfortable with this as the other flats in the block are likely to be the same as they were converted at the same time and the building could be an accident waiting to happen if my suspicions are correct and my customer does not investigate further. Also he is likely to ask me to investigate further! Building control are not interested.
I have searched to see if a 2006 fire rated light should bear any symbols but it appears that it is sufficient for the symbol to be on the packaging, perhaps I am using the wrong search terms?
Advice please

A bit of a grey area this one. Its hard to picture what you are describing, but my first concern is that they sound to be too small for the hole that they are in, and as such the seal will not sit against the ceiling properly irrespective of fire rated or not.

Some fire rated down lighters don't always appear to be fire rated, when in fact they are, as they can be fire rated due to the fact that they will self extinguish if they catch fire.

A good clear couple of photos may help if you can upload some.

Cheers…………Howard

Reply to Inspection question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net