Discuss Install in Server room and ac unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening guy, just wondering if I could get a bit of clarity......
I've been asked to to install some sockets into a new server room and spur off to feed a wall mounted aircon unit.

My thoughts for this would be to install a new circuit and keep it separate from anything else to avoid unwanted tripping.
My question is a 2 parter
1, would you bother spurring off for the ac unit or add another circuit too
2, being a server room and the sockets won't be used for anything else, would an rcd protected circuit be necessary.... Also I've read there is earth leakage with server stacks bit not sure if this is true.

Cheers

You should consider putting the aircon system on its own circuit and RCBO.

you don’t want to be held responsible for when the aircon trips the circuit and takes out the servers.

Do the servers have battery backups ?

How many servers and expected loading?

UPS present?

Installation method?

I would be going with AC on it's own circuit.

Cheers for the quick response guys,

There will be 1 server tower with a monitor.
There is a ups system going in.
Instalation method is clipped direct, it'll run above the ceiling tiles until I enter the server room where I'll use conduit to drop down to each socket outlet, the entire run is approx 35 meters.
It'll be 2 x radial circuits. 1 for the server and 1 for the ac unit.
The ac unit will have its own rcbo (cheers murdoch).
For the server supply I'm uncertain on weather rcd protection is needed as the sockets arnt for general use, and there'll be used by skilled or instructed persons

Evening guy, just wondering if I could get a bit of clarity......
I've been asked to to install some sockets into a new server room and spur off to feed a wall mounted aircon unit.

My thoughts for this would be to install a new circuit and keep it separate from anything else to avoid unwanted tripping.
My question is a 2 parter
1, would you bother spurring off for the ac unit or add another circuit too
2, being a server room and the sockets won't be used for anything else, would an rcd protected circuit be necessary.... Also I've read there is earth leakage with server stacks bit not sure if this is true.

Cheers
Seperate circuit for A/C definitely, done many installs like this one, the last thing server's want is peaks and troughs as the the A/C kicks in and out.

The 18th's implementation date is January 2019, so there's still a while. And anything designed before that date can be so designed to that amendment.

Does the server room have a false floor and when the aircon unit is installed will there be anything in place to monitor the unit for water leakages?

The 18th's implementation date is January 2019, so there's still a while. And anything designed before that date can be so designed to that amendment.
Surely the socket out lets will be under the control of a trained person, and as long as there is a RA there will be no need for RCD protection, or has that scenario been by passed.

Electricians in server rooms are a liability, you really need to make sure all the cabinets are locked and keep your beady eyes on them at all times, no food/drinks allowed in the room.

Isnt it going to be required that all sockets have rcd in the 18th? We are only 12 weeks away.....

Hum ........... yes this old RCD for EVERYTHING rears its ugly head AGAIN.

A server rack with 13A sockets should NOT have RCD's IMHO ............... but the muppets at the IET don't understand the reality at the coal face.

I would omit RCD protection for the sockets as it can be argued they're for specific use and nuisance tripping would have a negative commercial impact, no access to general public etc.

As for the cable run, as you're using conduit for the final drops would it make sense to do the whole run in conduit and use singles? You could then get away with one containment run for both circuits.

If the AC unit doesn't connect using a plug top then I wouldn't bother with RCD protection unless the manufacturer calls for it.

I would omit RCD protection for the sockets as it can be argued they're for specific use and nuisance tripping would have a negative commercial impact, no access to general public etc.

As for the cable run, as you're using conduit for the final drops would it make sense to do the whole run in conduit and use singles? You could then get away with one containment run for both circuits.

If the AC unit doesn't connect using a plug top then I wouldn't bother with RCD protection unless the manufacturer calls for it.
The A/C Compressor side of the system will be outside, the supply and control wiring to the Evaporator unit will come from the outside unit usually in the form of a single phase supply for the Fan plus controls, isolation wilbe at the outside unit, which as well as isolating the outside unit, will isolate the Evap as well. No need in my mind for any other protection other than a suitably sized OCPD and of course a lockable IP rated isolator. And in many cases a condensate pump and pipework to the outside, will be integral to the Evap unit.

Does the server room have a false floor and when the aircon unit is installed will there be anything in place to monitor the unit for water leakages?
No there's no false floor, the servers will be at one side of the room and the ac unit will be on the other side. Nobody works within or near the room, it's a locked room. It's only purpose is for the server. As for leaks I'd imagine the caretaker of the building will do some inspection whilst cleaning?

Doing the entire run in singles in conduit wouldn't be the best option, there's cable baskets above the ceiling, so I'm going to utilise them.

Reply to Install in Server room and ac unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net