Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Installation of a RadiaLED Utility JC23203WOP in the Lighting Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Stoker

Stoker EF Member

Hi

I need some help.

I recently bought a RadiaLED Utility JC23203WOP bulkhead light on the understanding that it was a suitable replacement for my old porch light which had a PIR sensor incorporated into the circuit so that it switched on when anyone approached. The installation instructions require connections to be made as follows:- Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 17.04.29.png

I have only one live supply available so I tried connecting it to the switched live terminal but the light did not work at all. I then jumped it to the unswitched live and the light came on but stayed on permanently. I have now tried connecting it to only the unswitched terminal and have a green LED glowing but the light does not come on when I approach it.

Can anyone advise me what I need to do?

Many Thanks

2. ferg

ferg Electrician's Arms

It sounds like you have an emergency bulkhead light which is designed to have a permanent and switched live connection.

Does it have a battery backup?
    If so Change it for a standard bulkhead and all will be well in the world of porch lighting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Stoker

Stoker EF Member

Many thanks for your reply Ferg

It does have a battery backup and has an emergency feature but it is supposed to be switched on when it detects someone within range and then switch off when they are out of range.

What I don't understand is the purpose of the permanent and switched live connections. I expected the light to come on permanently when the switched live is on and be activated by the occupancy sensor when the switched live is off. Is this not correct?

4. ferg

ferg Electrician's Arms

The emergency feature operates when the permanent live drops out.

So without the perm live connected it acts as an emergency light and... well... lights. :)

5. Stoker

Stoker EF Member

Yes I understand that. What I don't understand is why the occupancy sensor isn't working. Maybe it's just faulty!

6. ferg

ferg Electrician's Arms

I've looked up that fitting and it doesn't seem to have an in built sensor.

7. Stoker

Stoker EF Member

Here's what is says on the box:-
    IMG_7199.JPG

8. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Can you show a good picture of the gear tray.

9. Stoker

Stoker EF Member

I've just noticed the asterisk and the small print so it looks like you are right about it. I'll be taking it back tomorrow for a refund hopefully as they sold it to me as a motion sensitive porch light.

Many Thanks for all your help.

10. suffolkspark

suffolkspark Electrician's Arms

Seems to be an issue with JCC packaging lately.... ive had half a dozen of these lights but the non emergency version and non sensor but the back of the boxes are all the same !

11. Stoker

Stoker EF Member

Very misleading to say the least! I just hope I get my money back as it over a month since I bought it.

12. suffolkspark

suffolkspark Electrician's Arms

Yea its daft, the wholesaler told me they had microwaves in too, you can see that your model number isnt on the back under the asterisk stupid packaging though.

13. Stoker

Stoker EF Member

I'll post an update of how I get on tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stoker

Stoker EF Member

Glad to say I got a refund with no problem. They were apologetic about the mix-up.

Many Thanks again for all your help.