Discuss Installation of kitchen unit downlights. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys

Its your trainee sparky here.

Just a quick question,
If I was to install downlights in a kitchen unit to illuminate the worktop, where would I get the supply from?
A guy I was speaking to who isn't a sparky said its best to get it from the nearest kitchen socket to where the lights are to be installed.
I've tried googling the circuit layout but can't seem to find one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Zippy

I take Zippy, that this is a new installation? so in effect you are staring from scratch?
The easiest way would be to Spur from the nearest socket outlet, you will need to ensure that the socket you spur from is NOT a spur, so you will need to prove this.
From the spur fit a Switched Fused Spur, from this spu run the wiring to the under cabinet lights.
Or you could, if possible come fro the existing kitchen lighting circuit, you mentioned in your original post that you are a Trainee Electrician, at what stage are you at in your training? If you are attending a training course then apply via the staff for access to the trainee area lots of trainees in there, some good Mentors, and you can ask any question you like without getting the Micky taken out of your question.

Last edited:
I take Zippy, that this is a new installation? so in effect you are staring from scratch?
The easiest way would be to Spur from the nearest socket outlet, you will need to ensure that the socket you spur from is NOT a spur, so you will need to prove this.
From the spur fit a Switched Fused Spur, from this spu run the wiring to the under cabinet lights.
Or you could, if possible come fro the existing kitchen lighting circuit, you mentioned in your original post that you are a Trainee Electrician, at what stage are you at in your training? If you are attending a training course then apply via the staff for access to the trainee area lots of trainees in there, some good Mentors, and you can ask any question you like without getting the Micky taken out of your question.

Morning Pete trainee question here.

When you say prove a Spur is not a Spur would this be achieved by testing line to line in the socket you wish to Spur off?

When you say prove a Spur is not a Spur would this be achieved by testing line to line in the socket you wish to Spur off?
How do you mean line to line testing? I suppose you could go along the tack of removing the socket off of the back box, to see how many cables are in there, of course that wouldn't be a fail safe method, R1+R2 test would be the best method, are you familiar with RFC testing?

Last edited:

If there is only 1 cable, then its a spur,

If there are 2 cables, you need to check ring continuity with the 6 cores disconnected from the socket, it could already be a spur off a spur, so don't assume 2 cables (6 cores) means a ring

Thanks for that Pete,
I will be starting a C&G Level 2 in September. But I've been building up my practical experience over the years slowly.

No mate will be a few years and experience before I let myself loose on a customers property. I am currently at college but taking notes all the while along the way.
Seems like you've got your head screwed on and know your limitations of what you are competent at this stage I assume that you know there is a trainee section of the forum which I understand could benefit you All the best with it in September.
P.S. Keep on coming back to the forum between sometimes going off topic pointless pictures & youtube inputs you will find sometimes members can give good information that through their experiences very helpful.

Best to supply from the lighting circuit if you can, then you can turn the lights on as you come into the room and off as you leave, as you would 'normally'.
Sometimes it can be easier to take the supply from the socket, not necessarily 'best'.

Reply to Installation of kitchen unit downlights. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock