Discuss Installation regs on multiple earth rods. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just a quick question, Earth rods aren’t my strongest subject and I have no access to my 7671 at the mo, what’s the regs or guidance for installing multiple Earth rods?

Issue I’ve had was services in the way, can the Earth rods be put into a different pattern than a square or a straight line? Like an L shape for instance? I have no clear route for the standard ways and it seems the only possible solution.

Thanks.

Better to ask than just plow ahead and do :)

Like I said I’ve never really had to deal with installing Earth rods so I’m learning as I go.

Common sense does point towards it not being an issue but I thought I’d just ask :)

Thanks though.

I have always where size of the ground permits, spaced them the same as the length apart, so if the first rod is 2.4m the next should be 2.4m away. Although in fairness its rare to need another if i have got 2.4m in. i put a rod in yesterday for a rolec charger, got a decent reading of 88 ohms on a single 4 footer.
Got myself a nice new tool for driving them in now too, cost me £30 on ebay and fits in the sds drill and over the rod and then on hammer action only drives them in nice and easy, no more swinging hammers about! for some reason they are all sold as ground rod driver as they are imported from the good old us of a.

I have always where size of the ground permits, spaced them the same as the length apart, so if the first rod is 2.4m the next should be 2.4m away. Although in fairness its rare to need another if i have got 2.4m in. i put a rod in yesterday for a rolec charger, got a decent reading of 88 ohms on a single 4 footer.
Got myself a nice new tool for driving them in now too, cost me £30 on ebay and fits in the sds drill and over the rod and then on hammer action only drives them in nice and easy, no more swinging hammers about! for some reason they are all sold as ground rod driver as they are imported from the good old us of a.

I’ve seen the tool on eBay already thanks, I was going to take a grinder to an sds max bit and make my own :tearsofjoy: the rods came with a large Allen head bolt which I presume to be for the installation so I’ll just make something that fits into that :thumbsup:

The ground is really bad where they are being installed so they’ve asked for 4 to be installed and we’ll see how we get on.

BS 7671 defers to BS 7430 on the detailed information and specifics of earthing, and there is a bit to it, but, to avoid interference rods should really be twice the driven depth apart.

Reply to Installation regs on multiple earth rods. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net