Discuss Installation techniques... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

timo1

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on installation techniques? I have looked at DIY books but they are a bit too general. What I am after are tips on chasing and hiding cables and advice on the best tools and parts to use for different materials such as oak, masonry etc..

I have worked with a friend who has worked in the trade since leaving school and have learned loads from him, unfortunately I am unable to work with him more, and I am in no position to do it the proper way as I have started late.

I'm just after something that will help me provide a good quality finish for domestic installations, any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on installation techniques? I have looked at DIY books but they are a bit too general. What I am after are tips on chasing and hiding cables and advice on the best tools and parts to use for different materials such as oak, masonry etc..

I have worked with a friend who has worked in the trade since leaving school and have learned loads from him, unfortunately I am unable to work with him more, and I am in no position to do it the proper way as I have started late.

I'm just after something that will help me provide a good quality finish for domestic installations, any help would be appreciated.

Um........installation technique is something that comes with practice, not from a book.

I hate to say it, but if you're in no position to do things the proper way, don't do them.........

With domestic installation, you absolutely need to do it the proper way, or not at all. Part P???

There's a lot more to being an electrician than learning how to chase cable into walls, friend.

Do it the right way, get some proper training before working on any installation, or pay someone who knows what they're doing.

Well meant advice.

phone round the local contractors, see if you can get a job as a mate. stress that you've had experience. as Bill says, it's experience you need plus quals. but it's a vicious circle. can't get the experience without a job, can't get a job without experience. once you've passeed the age of 18, nobody wants to know as they can't pay you peanuts.

Thanks for you comments, I am registered with NICEIC as a domestic installer but work on my own and I am not full time. Im not looking for something that will teach me everthing in one book and im sorry if I gave that impression. I'm happy with working on electrical installations within part P but im sure there are quicker and neater ways of doing things then perhaps I am aware of and of course I understand the best way to do that is with someone else to teach you. Please believe me when I say I have nothing but respect for anyone who has learned their craft, but surely I cant be the only person who would benefit from a good concise publication with a few insider tips?

I see what you're saying - I sometimes wish there were a book to offer me concise tips on bending steel conduit, MI and other things I don't get to do very often, but as already mentioned they're things that must be learned through practice and can't be taught.
A bit like driving.

I see what you're saying - I sometimes wish there were a book to offer me concise tips on bending steel conduit, MI and other things I don't get to do very often, but as already mentioned they're things that must be learned through practice and can't be taught.
A bit like driving.
eggsacctly. books can only help with theory. only way to learn good practices is by observing and doing. after 30 years in the trade, i still pick up a new bit of know-how now and then.

We had to delete the associated thread and ban the author and his sidekick but the book is still available on Amazon.......

An Illustrated Explanation of Earthed Equipotential Bonding: Amazon.co.uk: D.W. Cockburn: Books

Check out the reviews.......

Shame.

I've just read the "introduction" - and that was enough not to want to go any further.

I won't comment on it, as obviously there have been myriad thing said already, and no point in fueling the flames so to speak.

However, I won't be purchasing it, and I would sincerely hope that any book I may ever write will be informed, and proof-read.

I see what you mean Bill, even the first two paragraphs don't entice you further.

It is, indeed, a worry.

The reality for us is that even every specification and quotation we send out is checked for accuracy by another of the team.

And that's no bad thing given my propensity to complete the damn things at three in the morning lately.

It isn't just spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors, but also we check everything technically, for our own sake and the customers.

It's even more ---- than that when it comes to Fire Risk Assessments - they pass through three pairs of hands AND compared against the site notes, prior to release.

Some say we're paranoid.....we say we won't be the ones ending up in court anytime soon.

I would write a book myself but after seeing what happened to the author of earth bonding 'book' on this forum I will keep quiet.

That book has got to be a wind-up or some form of experiment in artificial stupidity, but your right to keep quiet. Remember, a pat on the back is only a few centimeters from a kick in the pants. :D

Reply to Installation techniques... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net