Discuss installing 110v and 240v socket in the same circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Luka

-
Reaction score
Hi All
Please advise in regards to wiring my shed/workshop. I need to install 110v plug. At the moment I have only 13A 240v standard sockets. Can I replace one of them with 16A 110v socket and have 240v and 110v sockets in the same radial circuit (please see picture attached)? Is it safe taking that I will not overload the circuit 0r I have to upgrade my consumer unit to have another MCB to run separate 16A circuit only for 110v socket? Also would 2.5mm2 cable will be sufficient or needs upgrade?

IMG_4275.JPG

Hi All
Please advise in regards to wiring my shed/workshop. I need to install 110v plug. At the moment I have only 13A 240v standard sockets. Can I replace one of them with 16A 110v socket and have 240v and 110v sockets in the same radial circuit (please see picture attached)? Is it safe taking that I will not overload the circuit 0r I have to upgrade my consumer unit to have another MCB to run separate 16A circuit only for 110v socket? Also would 2.5mm2 cable will be sufficient or needs upgrade?

View attachment 45881
In a word NO you can't

thanks. Is option with adding MCB to feed only 110v socket ok then? this is my CU https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/briti...FTY9rDQdlErPExO-5JBoC3_0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

what load do you expect on the 110V?

Hi All

View attachment 45881

You can't have a 32A mcb on a 2.5mm radial, as in your drawing.
Needs to be a 20A.

what size cable feeds from the house, and what MCB rating?

you're stuffed then @ 3.5kW. that alone is a full load for 2.5mm.. a new cable from house is the only solution. and a 30A MCB is too high a rating for 2.5mm.

Did you do the wiring for the garage?
It looks like the circuit from your house to the garage needs looking at.

you're stuffed then @ 3.5kW. that alone is a full load for 2.5mm.. a new cable from house is the only solution. and a 30A MCB is too high a rating for 2.5mm.
I thought that 3.5 kW is about 13.6A, that is using my physics knowledge (P=V x I) but I'm not an electrician so I don't know if it works that way in practice. If it's safe for 2.5mm circuit operate on 20A MCB so 13.6A should not cause the problem. They rate prysmian 2.5mm cable 18.5A so I thought it should be fine. Regarding cable from house maybe it is not 2.5mm then (to be honest that was a guess), it was wired by electrician so I imagine it was done properly (at least I hope so). I won't be able to change cable from the house but I imagine that installing 20A MCB in the shed should give a sufficient barrier

Did you do the wiring for the garage?
It looks like the circuit from your house to the garage needs looking at.
It was done by electrician good few years ago so maybe its not 2.5mm, I was guessing, to be honest don't know why :)

What voltage does the Band Saw motor require? You talk about a 110V plug, but have drawn a picture of a plug that might be 110V or 240V.

You do realise fitting a 110v socket outlet even on its own circuit wont give you 110v? You need a transformer.... Just thought id mention this incase you hadnt realised thats how it works

You do realise fitting a 110v socket outlet even on its own circuit wont give you 110v? You need a transformer.... Just thought id mention this incase you hadnt realised thats how it works

This ^^^^^^

As @tlangdon12 says, is it definitely a 110v appliance? From the socket style on your drawing, 110v usually has a yellow plug, 240v a blue plug.

Last edited:

Reply to installing 110v and 240v socket in the same circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net