Discuss Installing 2x 9.5kw Red ring water heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
hi guys
Went to have a look at a job to today where the customer is wanting two 9.5kw water heaters replacing for both the sink in the bathroom and the kitchen sink.
The property is a one bed flat with no gas supply hence the reason for the water heaters.
The property is supplied from a 60amp switch fuse-25mm tails
Other circuits include a shower at 9.5kw,hob at 5kw, 3xpanel heaters and general kitchen items.
this installation has being like this for many years apparently and not blown fuse.
What would you recommend is best option for this.
I’m trying to convince him to install a over sink water heater which are around 3kw max in the bathroom to reduce load but do you still think this is too much.

I have found the 2kw steeple ones from denmans do a decent enough job, especially for a 1 bed property. 9.5kw is way too much for that flat. Have you not considered the instant hot water heater taps that you can get that do same job but replace the mixer tap? they are in Denmans aswell? might be a better fit for the kitchen?

tap.JPG

I have been dealing with almost exactly the same but in a holiday cottage. Continual complaints of no flow in the showers, lights dimming when the showers are used etc.
We have just replaced it all with an electric boiler and wet radiators with stored hot water. Customer very pleased

Hi, does is the stored hot water heated indirectly by the electric boiler, or does the cylinder just use immersion? Just curious to know the recovery time on that sort of set up, could be a useful solution for some situations. Cheers

Either or both! We put a horizontal unvented quite large cylinder in the attic, mains water pressure being very good. The cylinder has facility for a standard immersion but we didn't bother, we only used the indirect coil from the boiler.
Whilst electric heating is quite expensive there are cost savings in no annual gas check required, far less mechanical parts to go wrong etc.
If recovery times could be an issue, increase the size of the tank so you have more stored. Modern tanks are quite efficient

Reply to Installing 2x 9.5kw Red ring water heaters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net