Discuss Installing a new ceiling rose (safely!) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stapes

Hi all, i've just attempted to install a new light fitting with a reasonable understanding of what i'm doing, but i just wanted to check if this was safe or not?

Live connects to live via the electrical block, as do the neutral and earth wires. I'm just confused as to what the earth wire connected to the ceiling fitting is supposed to do. Should this also connect to the electrical block or just hang loose in the fitting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2ewhcok.jpg
[/IMG]

thumbnail_IMG_3912.jpg

with a reasonable understanding of what i'm doing

Should this also connect to the electrical block or just hang loose in the fitting?

Those two statements don't fit together bud. Why on earth would a fitting come with a cable like that if it wasn't designed to be connected to something?

Is the light fitting metal? That earth coming from the mounting bracket would normally connect to the body of the light fitting in that case unless it's marked as being double insulated.

Thanks for the help so far. The fitting is metal and it came with live, neutral and earth wires from the lamp holder, and another earth wire screwed into the mounting bracket. Should I connect that to the earth terminal in the electrical block as well?

that loose earth wire is just to earth the bracket, which is earthed anyway when screwed to the fitting base. either connect it or just cut it off.

That also needs connecting to the earth terminal in the middle. Was that the only cable in the old ceiling rose. The only problem I forsee is exposed conductor insulation when it is put together.

Close that junction as its seen and you contravene the electrical regulations;)

Do the job right,refuse to accept yourself doing a dismal Diy effort
Best to give the conductor lengths a hair cut :clapping:

throw away that crappy junction box and fit 3 x lever wagos.

Thanks for the help so far. The fitting is metal and it came with live, neutral and earth wires from the lamp holder, and another earth wire screwed into the mounting bracket. Should I connect that to the earth terminal in the electrical block as well?
YES

Yes you should connect it to earth, and carry out testing to confirm that the earth you have connected it to is compliant

that loose earth wire is just to earth the bracket, which is earthed anyway when screwed to the fitting base. either connect it or just cut it off.

Sorry, but I wouldn't cut it off unless it specifically states you can in the manufacturer's installation instructions, which in most general cases outweigh (so to speak) the wiring regulations.

Again, the manufacturer's instructions should advise what to do with this cable, which I suspect would be to park it in the terminal block.

Reply to Installing a new ceiling rose (safely!) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net