• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Installing a secondary consumer unit in the garage?? in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

^^ very simply if it's a 60a then the combined load of the house and garage could easily blow out.

Me thinks you need to consult a decent local spark.

Where are you based?

^^ very simply if it's a 60a then the combined load of the house and garage could easily blow out.

Me thinks you need to consult a decent local spark.

Where are you based?
Ah I see. Well I was applying the rules of diversity and the fact I dont have one electric shower or similar in the house so the welder basically pulls a similar current. My showers and rads are all gas. The 100amps came from the fuse located near the meter and the main switch in the consumer unit.

100 a on a main switch is normal and 100 a on a fuse carrier gives the max rating so nothing can be assumed...

Last edited by a moderator:
so how much is it going to set me back to get a sub main installed in the garage with 1 32 ring and a lighting radial? roughly speaking. Assume the swa channel is already chased.

so how much is it going to set me back to get a sub main installed in the garage with 1 32 ring and a lighting radial? roughly speaking. Assume the swa channel is already chased.
Get an Electrician in ti give you a quote, simples.

Roughly speaking somewhere between £500 and £5000.

Or in other words how on earth can anyone give a price without actually knowing what they are pricing for?

A little harsh davesparks the OP is only asking. OP, the only real way in any case, to get this work done is by a qualified competent electrician, its a bit more than putting up some lights you've got from B&Q. Think Pete suggestion is the way to go.

PS your electrician might suggest you doing some labour work, like trench/chasing for your supply cable, which may save you some pounds.

what's the point of ------footing around. davesparks is right. nobody can give a more accurate estimate without physically seeing the job and pricing up equipment and estimating a timescale.

what's the point of ------footing around. davesparks is right. nobody can give a more accurate estimate without physically seeing the job and pricing up equipment and estimating a timescale.

It was actually quite mild reply from davesparks, but I kinda sensed the next few wouldn't be. Anyway, whichever your viewpoint the OP seems to have taken on-board the advice :)

HI
I am aiming to install a garage CU that extends a circuit between the main CU to a new garage CU. The new garage CU will be used on three circuits
a) I have run 50m of 6mm 3 core SWA between the garage and shed A. This is to feed a couple of sheds that will both have lights and sockets. I am to install a garage CU with 30mA RCD in each shed to run the light cicrcuit and sockets. Shed A will also serve a 32a circuit for shed B
b) seperate 2.5mm SWA on 6a circuit to run 6/7 LED lights in the garden. Will run off the new garage CU
c) seperate 2.5mm SWA on 20a circuit to run a water feathure in the garden

Now my question is it ok to have
Main CU connected to garage CU with 6mm SWA cable (this Tenby unit has dual RCD and non RCD). The new garage CU will have RCD protection
a new garage CU is installed in shed A and also has RCD protection
finally another garage CU Is installed in shed B that also has RCD protection

All because I cannot find an adequate garage CU that does not have RCD protection

Thank you for your prompt responses.

Can I ask what sort of ducting would be ideal to run the SWA in and why I need the ducting if its SWA?

Do I need RCD protection if I am less than 50mm but in SWA?

In terms of zoning I am struggling to find info as most diagrams show wall and ceiling wiring zones. I am simply going through the hall and lounge floor to the outside.

My house is a new ish one using TN-C-S earthing

Regards,
Dont forget if you are running 16mm T and E the earth will be too small. 10mm earth required.

Reply to Installing a secondary consumer unit in the garage?? in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock