Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Installing American in Uk in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. opm electrical

opm electrical Regular EF Member

Im doing work on an American site in the U.K. and installing us socket outlets through a transformer.
    Does anyone know what I should install as far as rcds go and also the Zs readings I should expect.
    Also on another site the generate 100/208 60Hz. And im installing supply cables to a DB. Are there any other factors to take into consideration when working out current rating/cable size and max Zs values.

Ollie

2. Lucien Nunes

Lucien Nunes Mercury Arc Rectifier Trusted Advisor

Are you installing to BS7671 or the NEC?

If working to the NEC, their specs for GFCI's are rather different to ours for RCDs, not least because on a 120V circuit they can be made much more sensitive without nuisance tripping. Permissible Zs values for a given OCPD are dependent on voltage, so you may need manufacturers data if using BS devices on voltages not tabulated in BS7671.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. opm electrical

Well I suppose it’s a question to be asked. I’ll have to see if I can get hold of a copy of the NEC. The installation is bs1671 but a deviation for the outlets. They’re fed through a transformer.
    The 60Hz site is a different one to get my head around. It’s swa coming from a 120/208 panel going to a DB for others to connect to.
    I’ll have to ask the Americans next time I’m on site.
    It’s a totally new one on me so I’m having to put the homework in, especially on the certifying side of things, and the niceic just said put a deviation in.

4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None

5. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    When I was in work, we needed to buy lots of 110Volt sockets from MK, the wholesaler made us sign a waiver that told them we were installing the overseas and not in the UK, so you may have some problems in the future if you use US stuff, just saying, as for the NICEIC what do they know about it, probably diddly squat.

6. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    It may have been to do with export tax as you see these outlets in manufacturers catalogues sockets for export only. I know the NICEIC get a bit of a bad press on here together with the other part P scams but on their technical side, they do have some knowledgeable engineers.

7. RWJ

RWJ 8,400+ day wonder Electrician's Arms

I'm sure there was a download link on here (a while ago) for the NEC I remember downloading it. Might have been Tony uploaded it???

You could always get the cable from TerryNye's mate lololol

8. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Nothing whatsoever to do with export taxation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. opm electrical

I’ve not had any problems getting the outlets at all. I get what you mean about the tax side of things because there’s American shops that I’m not allowed to buy stuff in because I won’t pay Uk tax

10. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Ok, just thought it was a reason why you had to sign a waiver.