Discuss Installing electrics in new build in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I'm building a new house and I like to do all electric work myself to save money.

Instead of paying an electrician £6k+, I thought I'll instead invest in training myself to become competent (enough) to install electrics myself in my new build.

My objective is not to gain employment, I'm happy with my current job in computing.

I know there's a number of discussions about these courses:
City & Guilds 4141-01 - Electrical Installation Work within a Domestic Dwelling
City & Guilds 2393 – Part P Building Regulations
City & guilds 2392-10 – Inspection & Testing Course

Would these courses enable me to do electrics for my new build?
Can someone suggest/recommend alternative courses?

Thanks
Idil

Hi

I'm building a new house and I like to do all electric work myself to save money.

Instead of paying an electrician £6k+, I thought I'll instead invest in training myself to become competent (enough) to install electrics myself in my new build.

My objective is not to gain employment, I'm happy with my current job in computing.

Thanks
Idil
Yes get an electrician to do it it will be cheaper and quicker, jeez

If you are keen to do some work you may find a friendly local Electrician who is willing to have you labour for them. They would supervise and you would be an instructed person. I would not recommend a new build house as the first job you tried, and by yourself too :)

The courses you need will cost around £6000. You will then need to register with a scheme £350. If you don't register with a scheme you have to pay Building control more. Then you need to be insured £180. Then you need to buy the tools and test equipment circa £2000-£3000. There are very specific ways into being an electrician even at the most basic, that being a domestic electrician. Please examine this link it gives the courses you need and the cost of them.
Morris Services - Getting Started - http://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp
Even after doing all that you will still not have a clue to be honest, you need a couple of years experience to place what you have learnt on the courses into some kind of congruent system. You will also need to be sure all your work meets regs on a practical level in terms of terminating cables properly and various other techniques to a professional level from day one. You will no doubt waste money and time on materials as you will get the wrong stuff and have to take it back. You will also need to learn how to wire central heating systems and data cabling (not part of basic training) And try not to kill anyone on site due to your inexperience as well as not annoy the hell out of other trades. You will also need your onsite card or the main contractor will not let you on site! (ECS) and PPE costing £300 roughly. And finally you may think, was it really worth it, and employ an electrician who has done all that for you.
Love to see such a sense of adventure, best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do people come up with these ideas ?

Do you consider training as a dentist if a family member needs a root canal ?
Would you rent a smallholding and rear a sheep if you fancy a lamb dinner ?

Just get a few professionals in to quote for the job. I would recommend three quotes to find a good cross section. And remember, the cheapest way is seldom the best value for money.

will OP get his accessories from lidl?

by the time you had finished the courses. a sparky would have been in done and dusted. one of the three pigs building a house of bricks!

Don't forget the work requires labels

Installing electrics in new build {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Just wanna say, Oh Dear :D

Thanks for the replies.
I suppose the question has been answered. Get a professional (not me) who knows what their doing.

Was looking to save a bit but it's not a wise move as I shouldn't compromise on quality of workmanship. Thanks all.

I'm building a detached house, 3 floors. I'm not exactly sure yet what electric spec I need but will include some spot lights in kitchen and reception rooms. However, I do know I'll need a computer/media network cable run throughout the house.

Does anyone know how I can roughly calculate the cost of all electrics?

Thanks
Idil (not Lidl ;)

The best way to calculate the cost is to get a firm idea of what you want and get some quotes in from decent electricians.

Glad you've seen the light. I admire enthusiasm and money saving (Being a Yorkshireman myself) but the "learn it yourself" route would have definitely cost you more in time and money and quality of job in this instance.

Reply to Installing electrics in new build in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock