Discuss Installing Landscape panels without any gaps between rows in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tennis ball

Hi,

Completed an install at the weekend, it was three rows of 7 Sharp 185w 990x1300mm ( I seem to remember) panels. I couldn't for the life of me work out how to install the rail system (we use click fit) so we had no gaps between rows.

In the end I had about a 300mm gap between each row and of course, each row had two paralell rails to fix the panels to. I just read another post which discussed building a vertical rail off the horizontal rail but is this the only solution?

After all my head scratching at the weekend I must say reading the solution made me feel a bit dull!!

Also, in another post I read here regarding Welsh slate installations, a reference was made to the Baxi installation guide which involves drilling throught the two tiles then hole saw etc etc. Just wondering if anyone has used the clickfit dowel screws to screw to the rafters in this method of fixing?

My first post here so hello and thansk for any replies in advance. Got my first slate tomorrow and it feels like I'm going to war!!

Regards,

Dan

If I understand your post correctly, you've installed Sharp panels, landscape and fixed them on the short side???? If you have, you've voided the warranty - you can't fix Sharp panels on the short side, they need to be cross railed ie 2 horzontal rails and then vertical rails attached to the horzontal to fix the panels on the long side. Ugly but necessary.

Slate roofs - there are loads of discussions about slate on the forum look them up. Most, if not all, installers that have been installing for a while wouldn't touch slate using hanger bolts - do the job properly and you won't have any need to go back in a couple of years and repair the leaks.

Hi mate,

Thanks very much for letting me know that, yes I did fix the panels on the short side looks like I will be going back to that job then!! What is the reason for not being able to fix the panels on the short side?

Sorry to revisit the slate roof discussion but when you say hanger bolts what exactly does this mean? - I think you mean where you use a bolt with a rubber grommit and compression to form a seal on the penetration made?

I did look at the various pictures and my just of it was you can either go down the hanger bolt route or use lead flashing and a dressed tile to continue the "overlapping" principle just like on the rest of the roof to keep a water tight seal. Have I understood this correctly?

Sorry for my vague and non technical speak but its new to me!

If the dressed tile and lead flashing is the way forward, can you recommend what tools I would need, I am having difficulty finding a good roofer and have decided to take on the tiling myself and have hired an electrician.

Thanks very much,

Dan

I haven't installed Sharp for a long time but I seem to recall if you fix by the short side they are prone to distortion later on - have a look at your installation instructions - it will tell you there.

Best bit of advice for today - don't touch slate without using an experienced roofer. It can't be done properly without and if you want to build a reputation for your work to see you post 12/12 you'll take the advice.

I haven't installed Sharp for a long time but I seem to recall if you fix by the short side they are prone to distortion later on - have a look at your installation instructions - it will tell you there.

Best bit of advice for today - don't touch slate without using an experienced roofer. It can't be done properly without and if you want to build a reputation for your work to see you post 12/12 you'll take the advice.

Hi SRE,

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Yes I kind of came to the same conclusion after I called my local tiling depot! But, after 12 days and two completely useless roofers, I finally found the a good man to join the team! He has 20 years experience on all types of roofing systems and has the personal skills to back it up, am very happy today!

Yes absolutely true, I don't want to risk my reputation and am glad I didn't go down that route!

Cheers all the best,

Dan

Tennis ball, are you mcs registered? Dont wish to offend but get the impression your are diy installer?

Hi Mate,

No not an MCS registered installer, I do intend on becoming MCS in the not to far away future though. I plan on starting my own renewables and energy efficiency company and have been writing a business plan for the past four months. I sub contract on price work for Solar PV UK Ltd who are MCS registered.

I am a JIB graded Technician qualified to 2399 and am working towards becoming an Electrical Engineer. I have 6 years quality, varied, industry experience. Done very little domestic work and only two PV installations so its all new, we all have to start somewhere!

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, where is the training from Solar PV UK? if you're installing for them you should have had training for them on their installation requirements not trying to get info from a forum. I'm happy to help but it's Solar PV UK's responsibility to make sure you fully understand the work you're doing.

For any householders reading the forum - this is exactly why you should be using local tradesmen and asking questions about their ability to install.

Sorry Dan, it's not entirely your fault - I commend you for trying to sort things out but we're often competing with the likes of Solar PV UK on price and your posts demonstrate exactly why people should avoid these sort of companies like the plague.

Good luck with the learning, you'll find it's a bit like your driving test, passing the test is only the first part - you'll have 12 months of learning ahead of you on the job before you'll be able to field most questions. Have you got the DTI guide to help you out???

HI

Just thought if mention firtly only install panels on the short side if the manufacturer says you can as most are not warranted to do so, secondly its against building regualations and MCS NEW DRAFT 12 to drill through slate tiles and install hanger bolts and also most manufacturers such as Hilti and Schuco will not warranty it anyway

There are loads of manufacturers who will allow fixing on the short side - you just have to check before you quote for the customer. We regularly have to do it - Bisol, Hyundai, Schott, Bosch, Suntech all allow fixing on the short side.

Pleased to hear about building regs it's about time!

If you want to do a decent job on slate without a week's messing about on the roof doing lots of lead-work, I can recommend the UNIRAC system. It is strong, easy to install and won't be leaking like the spikey bolts in 5 years time when the mastic goes hard. DULAS sell this system. It isn't the cheapest, but at least you can sleep soundly at night after you've installed it.

Yup, second Unirac - our default choice for slate

298195_220548131329727_207292185988655_658403_4897562_n.jpg

Short side fitting, couple of reasons for not doing it, most wont allow it as in Europe (read Southern Germany) panels are expected to withstand 5400 pascals of load pressure (equates to about 6ft of snow load) REC will allow short side but it reduces load capability on their panel to 2800 pascals. The load is borne by the frame so a deeper frame with thicker material usually means they will allow it but not always. Most UK sites are unlikely to need 5400 pascals so its not too much of an issue, whats more of an issue is microcracking when the panels are supported at the ends the panel flexes across its length causing microcracking in the cells, it therefore increases recombination losses in the cells which means higher degradation rates for the manufacturers to contend with on their warranties also it lowers your customers yields so not a good idea!

i read all this senior members info and think SO MUCH TO LEARN! wind calcs!size of fixings in trusses!multi tracking!DNO!click fit!inverta choice!dti updates!deposit accounts NOW FRUIT PASCALS!!!! its all to much!!

We're all learning - all the time :) that's what I like about the Forum. A bit of support when you've had a bad day (or fortnight at the minute!) food for thought about things you thought you knew and completely new trains of thought. That's what makes it interesting.

So dragging up this old post,

Hyundai can be clamped on the short side and mounted landscape on a standard Schuco rail system?

Reply to Installing Landscape panels without any gaps between rows in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net