• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Installing Nest ain't easy! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It's not a straight forward swap as the existing programmer/timer is being used as a bit of a wiring centre aswell. The easiest option would be to remove the existing programmer/timer, put a wiring centre in its place and make the required connections and connect the nest to the new wiring centre. With the greatest respect heating wiring gets a lot of electricians in to a bit of a bother so it's not really a DIY job. Probably best the find an electrician. If you put your postcode in here you should be able to find a local nest pro installer. Nest pro installation - https://nest.com/uk/nest-pro-installation/

As Lee posted I would install a wiring centre where the time clock is as it is a bit of a mess ie for a start the flex I presume to the valve has no cord grip. I don't know much regarding Nest does this do away with the existing programmer ?.

As Lee posted I would install a wiring centre where the time clock is as it is a bit of a mess ie for a start the flex I presume to the valve has no cord grip. I don't know much regarding Nest does this do away with the existing programmer ?.
The third gen Nest does away with the existing programmer and controls both hot water and heating. It's just a receiver incorporating HW and heating relays with a wireless stat/controller display.
Installing is as easy as any other heating system, but those not familiar with heating systems will struggle with any heating wiring, including nest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Just installed the Nest gen3 into my potterton powermax h3 boiler, I have wired it in the following way however as soon as I power the boiler on, the burner comes straight on and won't turn off. Can anyone give me a bit of direction please as to where I'm going wrong? Installing Nest ain't easy! IMG_8167.JPG - EletriciansForums.netInstalling Nest ain't easy! IMG_8168.JPG - EletriciansForums.netInstalling Nest ain't easy! IMG_8169.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Hi
Just installed the Nest gen3 into my potterton powermax h3 boiler, I have wired it in the following way however as soon as I power the boiler on, the burner comes straight on and won't turn off. Can anyone give me a bit of direction please as to where I'm going wrong? View attachment 38951View attachment 38952View attachment 38953
You should get an electrician in as what you've done so far looks like a right bodge. You've used the wrong type of cable and also used the cable wrong by cutting out the CPC...I don't feel comfortable providing any assistance as to why it's not working....it's clear from the pictures you've connected it completely wrong. An electrician or clued up heating engineer should be your next point of call.

This is exactly how I've been advised to wire it on a different forum. I've got my level 2 and 3 qualifications. I just want to make sure I know how to wire it and then I will go out and buy some 5 core flex to make it neat

I registered with Nest as a nest pro mainly to get a reduced camera for a job i had on, I am now on some list somewhere to install nest products as a nestpro but i avoided the heating controls/ thermostats as it would send my insurance up by just shy of £100 if i so much as take the cover of a boiler! im allowed to wire one to mains but not anything else. im also not allowed to use a flame based tool! so bang goes the flame thrower to clear the crap in the garage on tomorrows job..

I registered with Nest as a nest pro mainly to get a reduced camera for a job i had on, I am now on some list somewhere to install nest products as a nestpro but i avoided the heating controls/ thermostats as it would send my insurance up by just shy of £100 if i so much as take the cover of a boiler! im allowed to wire one to mains but not anything else. im also not allowed to use a flame based tool! so bang goes the flame thrower to clear the crap in the garage on tomorrows job..
Really ! electricians have been taking covers off boilers for years to connect the electrical supplies ?.

Really ! electricians have been taking covers off boilers for years to connect the electrical supplies ?.
in all honesty i take the cover off as how else am i meant to reach the terminals and check cables are connected!
im allowed to connect them up to the power but not as my broker explained touch the control systems and definitely not the gas!!, in hindsight my insurance has so many limitations i half wonder if it will be worth claiming on if ever needed!

in all honesty i take the cover off as how else am i meant to reach the terminals and check cables are connected!
im allowed to connect them up to the power but not as my broker explained touch the control systems and definitely not the gas!!, in hindsight my insurance has so many limitations i half wonder if it will be worth claiming on if ever needed!
Would be worth looking into getting a new insurance provider then?

Or by control systems are they referring to the internal wiring of the boiler itself?

Would be worth looking into getting a new insurance provider then?

Or by control systems are they referring to the internal wiring of the boiler itself?
Never queried it too much. but im renewing the old insurances in next few weeks, got van and public liability so no doubt will get stung by the insurance firms as premiums are supposedly increasing,i will be very nice to my broker to get a decent deal

Never queried it too much. but im renewing the old insurances in next few weeks, got van and public liability so no doubt will get stung by the insurance firms as premiums are supposedly increasing,i will be very nice to my broker to get a decent deal

As an aside to the OP I am insured through NAPIT insurance. I have PL, PI, van, and van contents insurance. Can't remember the price off the top of my head but it was defo the best by a mile when I compared it. As I also do joinery and occasional ancillary works (when my gas lad isn't available (not gas though!!)) related to that, they were very thorough. I had a hour long telephone convo with them discussing exactly what I did and didn't do. All in all I was impressed. It is probably one of the better aspects of NAPIT in my opinion!

Reply to Installing Nest ain't easy! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back