Discuss Installing twin & earth LS0H cables in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When installing LS0H cables what type of cable reference type do people put down on the eic?
I put down pvc/pvc as the ccc of the cable from manufacturers is the same as standard twin & earth ratings from bs7671 and to be fair it's similar apart from make up of insulation.
Thanks.

As you say the CCC is the same but the safety feature of 'in the case of fire' is the only difference.
When would LSOh ideally be used if not stipulated on the specs of a job?

Since the cable type is a made up specification from NICEIC and not required by BS7671 the actual designation you use can be fairly loose.
As you say based on the options available PVC/PVC is a suitable classification as it is essentially electrically similar, the only difference being the effects of fire.
Therefore from the point of view of an EIC the make up is immaterial.
If as is so often the case now LSOH cable is specified then this will be stated in the specification and will not need restating unless it is required by the customer.

Rpa07 generally an LSOH cable should be used wherever there is a risk to persons/livestock from the effects of smoke and fume, which is almost always when indoors. In practice this will come to the fore in public places particularly enclosed spaces and also where large numbers of people may be gathered, such as offices.

Since the cable type is a made up specification from NICEIC and not required by BS7671 the actual designation you use can be fairly loose.
As you say based on the options available PVC/PVC is a suitable classification as it is essentially electrically similar, the only difference being the effects of fire.
Therefore from the point of view of an EIC the make up is immaterial.
If as is so often the case now LSOH cable is specified then this will be stated in the specification and will not need restating unless it is required by the customer.

Rpa07 generally an LSOH cable should be used wherever there is a risk to persons/livestock from the effects of smoke and fume, which is almost always when indoors. In practice this will come to the fore in public places particularly enclosed spaces and also where large numbers of people may be gathered, such as offices.
As you say the CCC is the same but the safety feature of 'in the case of fire' is the only difference.
When would LSOh ideally be used if not stipulated on the specs of a job?
Like you say apart from being specified we normally install in built up public areas such as restaurants, offices, student accommodation and hotels places of that nature.
Hate the stuff to be honest, feels like cheap plastic and is a t*at to strip at times!!

We had a bunch of it at college and that was all we were made to practice circuits with. You are correct - horrible to strip.

Like you say apart from being specified we normally install in built up public areas such as restaurants, offices, student accommodation and hotels places of that nature.
Would you take it on yourself to install LSOH in these areas even if it wasn't specified - being professionally 'liable' or is it not statutory?

Would you take it on yourself to install LSOH in these areas even if it wasn't specified - being professionally 'liable' or is it not statutory?
Yes we would install them anyway, even if we don't look at it as Not being liable if we don't.
Local authority schools insist on it, when we install cat6 data for data companies it's insisted upon so it becomes the norm in these situations really.
When you go back to standard grey twin after using the stuff for months it's like Christmas come early!!

Last edited:

Reply to Installing twin & earth LS0H cables in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net