Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Instrument technician in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Mark1985

Mark1985 Regular EF Member

Hi guys,

I’m a qualified spark having worked on a few industrial projects I’m keen to getting into instrumentation.

Has anyone done this? Are there any courses that people recommend?

Cheers
    Mark

2. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
  3. PaulDuncan

PaulDuncan Installation Electrician, Maint Electrician, EC&I

City & Guilds still do a Electrical / Electronics engineering course I think . Industrial Electronic servicing i t replaces i think.

4. Ali-C-123

Ali-C-123 EF Member

Try and get a course on PLCs mate. I’m into CNC and PLC control. PLCs have built in closed loop control. Most instrumentation I see now is connected directly to the PLC and tuning/calibration is done via the PLC itself.

5. Ali-C-123

Ali-C-123 EF Member

Also view this clip for more in depth guidance on the difference between electricians and instrument techs.

• Old Old x 1
  6. timbobelfast

timbobelfast Electrician's Arms

7. bomjac

bomjac Regular EF Member

By all means go for it. Employment prospects and potential earnings are much better than for a plain spark. The prices doubled about 5 years ago due to the Tory government increasing the cap on fees. It’s now £500 or so per unit at Teeside uni.

However, be aware that you will be competing for work against the “teeside” mafia and also the Eirish equivalent. My mate actually had a teeside Tiffy whining to him recently about all the paddies taking over !

My mate has been overlooked for dozens of hookups and projects all over the North Sea and Europe for the last 20 years whilst they are hiring 20yo kids straight out of college just because they are from Teeside.

• Informative Informative x 1