Discuss Insulated wire running under radiator? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dagini

-
Reaction score
I have a radiator mounted on the wall under the window and a socket to the right of the radiator. I have an extension running from the socket under the radiator to my desk; there is enough wire so that it runs along the floor under the radiator.

Will the wiring be dangerous due to the heat of the radiator?
Any other problems you can see?

To be fair, it's probably not a problem provided the radiator doesn't get too hot...it's unlikely that the heat will be sufficient to degrade the cable/insulation in the short term, but it depends on how hot the rad gets, and how far way the cable is, obviously. However, if the cable is within 300mm of the rad, it is likely you will only get Radio 4, which is a cause for concern, no?

Heat rises:)
What you describe should not affect the cable,what you describe also suggests the cable should be even nearer to that heat source:)

It seems to me that your trailing cable will have more safety issues than the heat damage concern you currently have

It would be better if it was clipped or trunked above the skirting board, in order to provide support and to keep it out of arms way for those clumsy feet to trip over

the wet-pants has probably run his hot pipes round the cables under the floor anyway

the wet-pants has probably run his hot pipes round the cables under the floor anyway

Isn't the phrase 'wet-pants' insulting to wet-pants.... or do wet-pants not bother??....

they're plumbers. what could be more insulting than "plumber". even the name is latin. someof them still even work with lead ( if us Scousers ain't weighed it all in).

As above, a cable on the floor not going to be troubled by the radiator.

Talking of plumbers and wires reminds me of a system I was going to develop many years ago which would revolutionise the plumbing and sparkying trades completely: Combine the 2 systems - use cold water pipes as neutral and hot water pipes as live. No need for separate wiring, and you can just use clamps to tap off wherever you need a socket. Obviously the hot pipes would need a bit of insulation tape wrapped round them. And I haven't thought the earth out properley yet.

Never patented it unfortunately - too busy working on other ideas.

Talking of plumbers and wires reminds me of a system I was going to develop many years ago which would revolutionise the plumbing and sparkying trades completely: Combine the 2 systems - use cold water pipes as neutral and hot water pipes as live. No need for separate wiring, and you can just use clamps to tap off wherever you need a socket. Obviously the hot pipes would need a bit of insulation tape wrapped round them. And I haven't thought the earth out properley yet.

You would definitely wake up in the mornings, when you wash your face...

As above, a cable on the floor not going to be troubled by the radiator.

Just use the gas pipe for the earth!

Seems like the verdict is the wiring is pretty safe around the radiator.

I am running 3 monitors, PC, displayport repeater, TV, FireTV stick and a lamp all from an extension in that outlet next the the radiator. Only the extension wire and an ethernet runs under the radiator though.

Reply to Insulated wire running under radiator? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net