Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Insulation coverable downlight in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Grayza

Grayza EF Member

Hi,
    I've got a customer who wants downlights installed in their kitchen/dinner.
    However the ceiling has celotex or equivalent insulation installed above it.
    Has anyone come across any suitable downlights that can be covered by celotex?
    Also just to make things harder there isn't any access from above the ceiling.
    Cheers

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

How do you plan to run the cables between the lights?

3. Grayza

Grayza EF Member

The cables are there already there, as at present they have surface mounted spotlights and want to change them for recessed downlights

4. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

The aurora m10 led downlight can be covered by insulation, providing you fit their special little adaptor on the top.

5. Grayza

Grayza EF Member

I don't think that includes celotex insulation

6. loulew

loulew LouLew

Business Name:
    Synergy Maintenance
    Had this problem recently on a job. Used the previously mentioned M10’s. Asked the DS the best way to go about it and he suggested cutting out some celotex but making each cut out slightly larger than the required size to allow a bit of air flow around the fitting and just make sure not to go all the way through.

7. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Think this one will be a runner!

I've been asked to install DL in ceiling voids with Celotex/Kingspan, and received differing advice from BC, i.e. cutting holes in the said insulation. I would recommend contacting your local BC, before doing so.

As regards the luminaire being installed touching said insulation, most of available DL that can be covered with insulation, the manufacturers are (having asked several) referring to lose covering insulation not boarded insulation, again speak to the manufacturer.

I have recently started a job, installing DL in a vaulted ceiling insulated with Celotex. The BC required a ceiling void under the Celotex insulated ceiling, and the manufacturers of several different DL's required an air space between top of fitting and Celotex. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Hum... celotex and downlights

If the client wants downlights then big holes are required in the celotex..... then there is the requirement for ventilation...

9. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

And bang goes the thermal value of your ceiling- and/or the acoustic properties of the ceiling.

10. Grayza

Grayza EF Member

Thanks for the advise. I thinking of getting as low profile DL as possible, as I have no idea how much space there is. Will probably have to do a sample hole to see.

11. Midwest

But as one BC inspector told, your lovely Velux window does more damage to the U value of your insulated ceiling, than a couple of downlights!

12. Midwest

In a normal Celotex filled ceiling, there will be zero space between it and plasterboard.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Grayza

Grayza EF Member

Just to let you, went back yesterday and cut a sample hole in the ceiling and there's a void of about 85mm between the plaster board and the celotex. So looks okay as long as I use low profile DLs

• Like Like x 1