Discuss Insulation over LED downlights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

teecee90

-
DIY
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before - couldn't find anything using the search function. After fitting LED downlights, can they be covered with loft insulation or will that cause a fire risk?

while the led lamp itself does not generate heat the driver circuitry usually does, at risk for fire? that depends on the materials they are in contact with, but heat buildup in the driver unit can cause its early demise. I would check with the manufacturer on this topic.

I agree with Devonchris. I’ve used both the E8’s and M10’s which are great integrated fittings. And I’ve just got some of the new EFD Pro’s to try out on an upcoming job, which take a GU10.

The op doesn't state that the lights are installed, or that he has purchased them.
Which is why I stated "if you haven't already purchased the fittings". So your assumption that they are fitted is pure speculation.

I thought your comment regarding manufacturer recommendations was commenting on the link to the Aurora lights I had provided. I hadn't realised you had assumed they were already installed. So that was pure speculation on my part. Sorry.

Thanks for all the replies so far. To clarify - nothing is purchased or fitted yet, I'm just considering my options. The plan is to replace a standard incandescent light fitting with 4-5 down lighters. There seem to be many options and having done a bit more research most are not insulation coverable and require some sort of additional box or cover over the light to keep the insulation away. Trouble is, the covers are often more expensive that the lights...

At this stage I'm favouring the Auroras as mentioned by Devonchris and specifically the EDF Pros mentioned by Loulew as they clearly state that they are coverable and seem very reasonably priced. Would be good to hear from Loulow or anyone else that has fitted them - although the seem to be a relatively new product.

Cheers

I have fitted the Aurora M10s, with insulation over, in several installs and never had a problem.
Can't speak for other models although I see the cheapy Enlight ones from Aurora are described as "coverable".
Aurora have a decent returns warannty, make sure you register the lights when they are installed!

i just rip a big hole in the insulation.

What is the insulation you are using? Many downlights which advertise as insulation coverable cannot be used with every type of insulation including the Aurora fittings.

Reply to Insulation over LED downlights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net