Discuss Insulation over LED downlights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

best place for insulation is kingspan between the roof rafters, but costs 30 x as much as itchy poo thrown over everything willy-nilly.

What is the insulation you are using? Many downlights which advertise as insulation coverable cannot be used with every type of insulation including the Aurora fittings.

Its only the itchy pooh stuff that you can cover them with, the expensive Kingspan/Celotex still requires an air gap.

best place for insulation is kingspan between the roof rafters, but costs 30 x as much as itchy poo thrown over everything willy-nilly.

Hello telectrix,

Because of the Roof ventilation - including often a massive amount from along the gutter level - the Roof space is considered to be equivalent to `Outside Air` with regard to for example installing a Boiler in the Loft area and it can be a very a Cold area in Winter & Autumn.

If something like Kingspan Insulation is fitted between the rafters the Roof space / Loft would be being heated from the Rooms below - a massive waste of Heat and expense.

Fitting Kingspan or similar Insulation between the rafters would be the best option if the Roof space / Loft was being converted into Living Accommodation as not only is it excellent Insulation but it fits nicely between the Roof Felt / Tiles and the Plasterboard of a new Ceiling.

I am not trying to be pedantic or argumentative with this message - my comments are just in case future readers of this thread thought to fit Kingspan or similar Insulation just between the Roof rafters as you suggested.

Regards,

Chris

A very polite post Chris.
You have to understand that @telectrix has a real dislike of itchy pooh after years of crawling around lofts and the like.
Apparently the itchy pooh has also made numerous complaints against Telectrix and his rough handling. The courts have ordered them to not come within 500 metres of one another.
Both parties are pleased with the courts decision.

This has been an Rpa07 production, entirely made up to waste your time!

in reply to chris' post. i can agree with some of it esp. regarding new builds where the attic is generally a complete waste of space due to the use of those diabolical roof trusses, making it impossible to even crawl through. on older houses like ours, the attic is open and extremely useful for storage. also it houses water pipes, water tanks etc., which if insulated from the hose , would freeze, burst and cause a flood.

Definitely a case of what sort of attic you have, and how you use it. Tel's view is completely balanced, imho...those cheap and nasty w shaped trusses make a loft useless and awkward, and not worth kingspan...but "proper" attics with queen posts (no, don't go there) and standing headroom need proper insulation above, like kingspan, because the attic is warmer, and the extra cost is negligible compared with burst pipes/tanks...and as the movement of air is limited, the extra heat is not really wasted much...it's just like heating one more room, but when it's warm, it stays warm...
and I fkn HATE itchy-poo too...
and I HATE the architects who design roof trusses down to a point of minimal size to do the job...it saves buttons, and causes problems for homeowners...greedy fkn housebuilders, every penny a slave, and never buy a new - build!
Oh, sorry...
mea culpa...
rant over,
honest!
Oh, did I mention how awful the plumbing is in new builds?
Well..............

No! Not tonight Pirate, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzeeee!
(My wife typed that last line!)

Not sure if she meant, no Pirate, don't go there with the plumbers thing, or just...No Pirate, not tonight!

I'll find out soon.....

What is the insulation you are using? Many downlights which advertise as insulation coverable cannot be used with every type of insulation including the Aurora fittings.

No certain what it is, but it's the itchy pink fibre/wool type stuff that comes on a roll. I assume that will be safe to place over the Auroras?

that and mdf are today's asbestos. be banned soon.

Reply to Insulation over LED downlights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net