Discuss Insulation properties of heat shrink, and tape in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Have question thats been on my mind for a while. Does anyone know if; at 250 -500 v, a single layer of heat shrink, or a single layer of insulation tape for that matter, covering a bare conductor, sufficient insulation against ?? direct contact/a shock ?

It seems a bit thin in comparison to to the outer sheathing of singles/flex. I could conduct a test with IR test but thought to ask the forum. Obviously a single layer of insulating tape is not the norm but this is in the name of science so go easy.

Have question thats been on my mind for a while. Does anyone know if; at 250 -500 v, a single layer of heat shrink, or a single layer of insulation tape for that matter, covering a bare conductor, sufficient insulation against ?? direct contact/a shock ?

It seems a bit thin in comparison to to the outer sheathing of singles/flex. I could conduct a test with IR test but thought to ask the forum. Obviously a single layer of insulating tape is not the norm but this is in the name of science so go easy.
You could have a point Mate, never gave it much thought before, perhaps I should have, good point though, would have thought the suppliers of the heat shrink would have taken that issue into account, but you never know, await answers with a degree of anticipation.

Like so many things it will come down to checking with the manufacturer. A good quality heatshrink which has been designed and tested as electrical insulation will be good for the job, whereas basic thin heatshrink may only be good for marking or bundling cables together.

If you look on YouTube you’ll find various instruction videos of how to install various cable joints using heatshrink and/or tape. These will give you an idea of the types of insulation materials used and how much is applied for different voltages.

Tape is often used just to cover rough edges or build up layers to give the heatshrink a smooth surface to be applied to.

I always used two layers of heat shrink, I thought this was the standard way of doing it, but I suppose we all do different things

Like so many things it will come down to checking with the manufacturer. A good quality heatshrink which has been designed and tested as electrical insulation will be good for the job, whereas basic thin heatshrink may only be good for marking or bundling cables together.

If you look on YouTube you’ll find various instruction videos of how to install various cable joints using heatshrink and/or tape. These will give you an idea of the types of insulation materials used and how much is applied for different voltages.

Tape is often used just to cover rough edges or build up layers to give the heatshrink a smooth surface to be applied to.

Yeah I suppose its down to sourcing quality and reading specs ect, although insulation tape is called insulation tape.

This is 2 bits of 2.5mm one single wrapped with insulation tape then taped together tested at 250 / 500 and 1000v >999mohms

same with heat shrink :)

Insulation properties of heat shrink, and tape IMG_2674.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Hi - it's an interesting question. Extending from @davesparks thoughts in post #3, we need good quality materials, as there may be a difference between what works when you test it and what's good for "10 year performance in a pollution degree 3 environment".

The results of a standard insulation resistance test aren’t really good enough to judge this by.
If the thickness of a single layer of tape was acceptable insulation then cable manufacturers wouldn’t make insulation as thick as it is.

You could wrap a conductor in a single layer of cling film and probably pass an IR test, but that sure as hell isnt acceptable as an insulating layer.

Always worries me when I'm in the pound shop and I see 8 roles of insulating tape for a quid. Obviously will never have been near any testing to prove its effectiveness.

Reply to Insulation properties of heat shrink, and tape in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock