Discuss insulation resistance test on shower circuit with neon isolater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

n180

-
Reaction score
On a new install of a shower circuit, with a neon isolater, is it better to use choc blocks to bypass neon isolater or would it be ok to just test live-earth (live being neutral and live combined) and miss the live-live test?

If testing just live-earth, would you write it down in details of departures that live-live was missed and would you just put n/a in the schedule of tests under live-live test?

Thanks in advance.

Ideally on a new circuit, you'd disconnect the neon. Alot of the switches these days have a means of doing this. MK for example, their 45A DP isolator, the neon has crimp connectors on that simply 'plug in' to contacts on the switch body. One can be pulled out for IR testing.

It would not be a departure to test LN-E as the regulations permit this method. If I use this test it is stated in the extent of work and 'lim' is recorded in the L-N test result in the schedule. However I normally use this method only on existing circuits, on a new circuit where there are no worries over unknown connected equipment I will test L-N and disconnect loads/neons. An exception would be lighting where it's likely control gear/drivers etc will already be connected before IR tests are carried out and would be impractical to disconnect.

Reply to insulation resistance test on shower circuit with neon isolater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello all, I hope you're all keeping well. I have a question regarding insulation resistance testing. Whether doing a single circuit IR test or...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm not an electrician, more one of those 'competent DIYers', so probably the worst kind :) My electric shower broke, the shower firm came...
Replies
Views
In my line of work it's very rare that I ever have to change a DB. I'm largely in maintenance; occasionally have to add new circuits etc. so in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, if I’m getting an insulation reading of 0.03 across N & L on a lighting circuit what would cause this? Neutral earth, live earth, are in...
Replies
Views
I have installed a circuit for an oven and carried out all of the relevant testing so far. Apart from a neon on the double pole isolation switch...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock