Discuss Insulation resistance test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-
Reaction score
Hi all on a eicr insulation resistance test between live conductors to earth gn3 says join l & n and test to earth is there any difference between that and testing phase to earth then neutral to earth? As you guys know some boards are a right mess and not in order to locate which belongs to which

The idea of linking L&N and testing to earth will allow you to do a global test quickly. If it passes on the global then all is good, if not then you need to break it down into circuits to find the culprit.

If you test L to E or N to E without disconnecting all loads then you apply 500V DC to the internal components of any load, in general this might be OK and will not cause harm however in some cases (such as smoke alarms, as they always say do not IR test)) the components may not be rated for that voltage and may fail.
If you join L and N together then test to earth then there is no potential difference across the internal components.

Insulation resistance test IR testing LN E or LE NE2 - EletriciansForums.net

When I do testing in occupied houses most are in a mess all over the place trying to find which point belongs to which circuit is a headache so when it comes to testing I seem to always get funny readings coz of loads connected still so go round unpluging what not some u just can't seem to find

Sorry of topic but wanted to get your guys views on something an old boy sparks once told me tns system is better then pme would u agree

There are pros and cons to both, TN-C-S can cause problems with the loss of neutral and on the reverse side many TN-S supplies are derived from older cables and can suffer from earth loss through degradation or network alterations.

Thank you mate makes sense. Got another question for you if you don't mine was testing a ring only four points on it r1 0.11 rn 0.13 r2 0.70 can only access two points as the other to needs hours just moving to many things about checked the two sockets and ccu no lose connection

That's what I mean so I got no choice but to check connections on the 2 remaining sockets which means moving a lot of stuff

Junk on top of furniture on one side and massive walldrope on the other with more junk was thinking to just drop the mcb size to 20 amp

Dropping it to 20A won't solve a possible earth continuity fault. As you are doing an EICR I would not be over concerned at finding the fault, Code it in the Report and if you are asked to do remedial works then advise the client access is required.

Going back to the IR question. You could do a global test and if the reading is too low then knock a circuit off 1 at a time until the reading improves. You can then hopefully have Better idea on what circuit is providing the low reading. Once you have narrowed that circuit(s) down you would need to test L to E, N to E. which ever one comes out low is your problem. At that point you will have to investigate more by inspection

Reply to Insulation resistance test in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock