Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then follow this link https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/forums/apply-to-gain-access-to-trainee-only-forum.60/ The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Insulation resistance testing on eicrs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Farmelectrics

Farmelectrics Farmelectrics Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Farm electrics
    Advice or quicker ways for doing i r tests on an eicr generally what I have been doing over the years is live to earth neutral to earth and joining live and neutral together then testing to earth job done but my pal who has recently had his annual nice i c visit said he's been shown a new method of doing it by his inspector using a low ohm clamp meter and applying ohms law bit confused and looking for advice if true how to do this and is it achievable

2. Dillb

Dillb Electrician's Arms

A IR test needs to be done at the relevant voltage as per BS7671, so trying to apply ohms law wont work. Be intresting to know what else the “assesor” doesnt know.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Risteard

Risteard Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    I presume he is trying to measure the Earth leakage. There is merit in this approach but BS7671 doesn't recognise it as an alternative.

Out of curiosity the OP states that he measures phase to Earth and neutral to Earth, and then live conductors connected together to Earth. Why the first two tests and not just the live/Earth test? There could also be a risk of damage to equipment with a phase/Earth and neutral/Earth test which is mitigated by connecting the live conductors together.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Farmelectrics

Business Name:
    Farm electrics
    If I'm honest dill totally agree but my mate was adamant even though he didn't explain it well hence my confusion stick to my old ways though must admit the ir tests can be difficult when some of the 36 way boards are chocker and access to the neutral bars and earth bars are difficult with out stripping the whole board down

5. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

I have learnt over the years that assessors like to come armed with a piece of information they think will impress you and show what geniuses they are. I prefer to convince them otherwise.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. cliffed

cliffed Regular EF Member

I mentioned this to our gaffer ages ago,nothing ever came of it.
    I think it’s a good idea,especially in a big complex,when doing EICR testing,where disconnecting becomes a headache.
    Obviously on easier projects always the right way,is always the best way.concerninhg IR tests.

7. Andy5678

Andy5678 Electrician's Arms

So can anyone explain the clamp method?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Yes very well said Dillb

9. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

Testing Line to Earth then testing Neutral to Earth, is fine if you then test between Line and Neutral.
    Doing three tests to Earth is a waste of time, might just as well do a single test with Line and Neutral joined and test to Earth.
    If you’re worried about vulnerable equipment, and can’t be asked to identify, disconnect or link out, then you would do better testing between Line and Neutral at 250V.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  10. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    An even bigger question for me what is a low ohm clamp meter?

11. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

Bad spelling?

12. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Suggest that your Mate gets a detailed method statement from this NICEIC Bloke

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    IR testing L-N with any loads connected is just pointless. Otherwise they wouldn't be loads ... or have I missed something?

14. Farmelectrics

Business Name:
    Farm electrics
    Think you missed something wilko live and neutral together and the test to earth

15. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Forum got the shakes :)
    Yes, I agree the (L+N) to E once there are connected loads. Commenting on post #9 really.