Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss insulation resistance testing question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. paulthemagpie

paulthemagpie Regular EF Member

If some of the circuits of a shower block for a big site have been tested for insulation resistance during constuction.

what is the possible effect that insulation resistance testing the whole installation when completed have on values obtain on completion compared with for those circuits when tested individually?

2. spark 68

spark 68 Electrician's Arms

The IR test results will come back lower, because you have more cables and therefore more leakage paths.

As an additional piece of information, it may not be possible now to do the L-L IR test, only the L+N to E test, either due to vunerable equipment and/or Neon indicators.

3. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

Paul, do you do any of your own homework?

With the questions you ask, i doubt a company would let you loose on site.

• Like Like x 3
  4. paulthemagpie

paulthemagpie Regular EF Member

most of the questions im on the right track or already no it, just want to check it with senior electricians like yourself

5. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

Try showing you've put some thought in to it. You may get some help then.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mark_Burgess

Mark_Burgess Electrician's Arms

I suggest you start putting your answers, first of all, in the thread after your question each time, people will tell you if you are right or wrong.
    All you are doing is alienating yourself from people willing to help, it seems like you want an easy way of getting homework answers.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Paul.M

Paul.M Electrician's Arms

I wish this forum was around when I was at college. I would have spent less time in books and more time in the pub.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GaryM

GaryM Guest

Paulthemagpie, think of resistors in parallel.
    What's the value expected collectively if you have four circuit's measuring 350Mohm, 320Mohm, 290Mohm and 176Mohm?

9. spark 68

spark 68 Electrician's Arms

Sorry chaps,

I did not realise it was a homework question, I actually thought it was a genuine request for help.

I don't usually just give out the answers, and like most of us on here just normally give helpful hints, or references.

10. trev

trev Regular EF Member

Paul, apart from anything else that has been said above, if you take a little time to think this one out you will get the answer. It's easier than you think