Discuss Insulation testing results in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Tweaker

Hi,

Very new to this forum so excuse any faux pas's.
Was wondering if anyone has come across this situation: Was doing some insulation testing as part of our planned maintenance and came across a motor that gave an odd result.

Capstan Motor 440V/60Hz, 24kW, Star/Delta configuration.

Removed all wiring and tested between windings 1U,1V,1W and earth and all 3 showed approx 1550 MOhm so pretty normal but between the phases all showed 0 Ohm. Almost like they were all shorted together.

Motor seems to be working normally.
Any explanations?

Attachments

• Capstan motor - MY Dubai.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
Testing between the phase's, where exactly did you connect your test probes?

you're probably reading the winding resistances. that will give zero on megohms. try a continuity test. should read a few ohms.

P.s looking at that drawing, I personally don't like the positioning of the overload in that circuit. It is allowed to be like that. However if for whatever reason it fails to transition into delta running it is afforded no O/L protection, coupled with the fact it will be running with 1/3torque it's highly probable the motor will burn out.

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has come across this situation: Was doing some insulation testing as part of our planned maintenance and came across a motor that gave an odd result.

Removed all wiring and tested between windings 1U,1V,1W and earth and all 3 showed approx 1550 MOhm so pretty normal but between the phases all showed 0 Ohm. Almost like they were all shorted together.

Any explanations?

If it ain't broke ............ :sailor:

... and ....:welcome:

Done the usual test, checked balance from one end of the winding to the other for all phases and it reads a few ohms for each but as mentioned meggering across the phases almost reads like the insulation has broken down between all the windings but motor runs so surely can't be the case.

insulation test from each phase to ground reads approx 1550 M Ohms so all other factors are normal.

Looking at your control circuit has that motor got an internal condensate heater/defrost heater or something similar? Are you sure you've disconnected all the wiring before testing. Maybe remove the winding wires U1, V1, W1, and U2, V2, W2 and run the IR tests again with them in free air.

So your testing U1 to V1 and getting 0Mohm? Can you get a low ohm reading between? The motor might be goosed. They will carry on running to well below 1Mohm that will probably be the lower range on your tester fine.

If this is the reading it doesn't comply with bs7671 and will need replacing/rewinding/drying out.

Marvo, heaters will be completely separate from windings. For the size of the motor I don't see where they would be fitted. I've only come across heaters in slip ring chambers.

Yep the heaters is a long shot and they shouldn't be in the same cct as the windings but it's always worth a retest with the winding wires off the terminal block. The OP is in the United Arab Emirates so he's probably working to codes other than the BS7671. One other thing I just thought of is we've had some pretty weird readings in the past from motors that are freewheeling whilst under test. Again a long-shot but it'sstrange he's only seeing a complete breakdown between windings and nothing whatsoever to earth.

I realise that Marvo, a heater circuit would not show a s/c with all windings.

Having the motor spinning would show a fault with most modern meters and wouldn't let the test begin. Long shot as you've said.

my money's being on the motor has a fault in the windings, low enough to go under scale on his meter but high enough not to cause a fault.

Hi,

Any explanations?

StarStar/Delta... two speed motor. Tapped windings. 1UVW internally wound as delta with a tapping on each as 2UVW. So 1U to 1V should ohmically be, say twice that of 1U to 2V. So as you have a connection between all points on the motor terminals you will have negligible insulation resistance.

Hope this helps.

StarStar/Delta... two speed motor. Tapped windings. 1UVW internally wound as delta with a tapping on each as 2UVW. So 1U to 1V should ohmically be, say twice that of 1U to 2V. So as you have a connection between all points on the motor terminals you will have negligible insulation resistance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. Appreciated.

Reply to Insulation testing results in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock