Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Insult or compliment? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. gccs

gccs Active EF Member

Business Name:
    Control Smart
    Just had a 'heated' debate with an MEP contractor on the phone who is doing first fix for a job we're on. (We're doing the controls, av, security etc)

I told him to make sure that his team label all the cables as per my spec, every cable, each end!

He told me I was being anal, and I'm not sure if I should take that as in insult on a compliment. I've got over 500 sections of cable going in on this job, some for the network, some for controls comms, some AV some for DALI, CCTV, Security and so on...... I just want them all labelled...... (which I do on all of our jobs, even when we're doing 1st fix).

Your thoughts?

2. Lou

Lou Admin Staff Member Top Contributor

I am not an electrician, but to me that makes sense.

I wouldn't take being called anal as a compliment but I suppose it depends on his tone! He may be miffed he has got to do something extra..

3. gccs

gccs Active EF Member

Business Name:
    Control Smart
    This is the 3rd MEP contractor on-site, the others have been booted off for being numpties. Perhaps next time the main contractor will use us for 1st fix too....

4. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

If he labels them then maybe a compliment but I would still say he has insulted you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gccs

gccs Active EF Member

Business Name:
    Control Smart
    He couldn't understand the fact that some of the sensors and switches are wired with Cat7, on a star wired bus, so some devices have got 5 cables going to/from them off to other devices or back to the bus. I tried to tell him if a device or set of devices aren't working, I need to know which cable specifically to investigate. Similar with the DALI bus wiring for the lighting.

6. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    think someone who has not got the intelligence to use a sharpie should not be saying anything about you apart from :

• Like Like x 3
  7. snowhead

snowhead Trusted Advisor

Given the conversation so far, I wouldn't trust that the cables were marked correctly.
    If they don't undestand the reasons for marking, they're not going to be too bothered if it's correct or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. gccs

gccs Active EF Member

Business Name:
    Control Smart
    I thought exactly that, so I think I'm going to send the local PM down for a day and test a big sample with a long lead.

9. Marti

Marti Self Starter Apprenticeship

Newbie so here my tu'penny worth. Been in enough server rooms late at night (previous career) to know when you find a well laid out and labeled cabinet you offer a silent "thank you" to whomever did that so you can fix the issue and go home. If you can't see the point of labels you should probably have a shovel- not snips- in your hand.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GMES

GMES Chief Gorilla Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Imo a good electrician will always think of the next person that may need to follow them in the future.
    As for labelling I must be anal as well. Hell I even have a label on my labeller to say it's my labeller. :oops::oops::oops:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    bananas on a labeller. i must tell brother.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

I think he thought he was insulting you, but I'd take that as an indicator of his lack of diligence rather than a sign of your over fastidiousness.
    Labelling is very important in our job.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Marti

Marti Self Starter Apprenticeship

Or even.... 127 Mug.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

Due to no cables being labelled and one of our sparks rushing in and not checking the cables he ended up taking out rather a large chunk of a data network for a couple of days.

I'm not saying who the customer was but if your internet was out up north all I can do is apologise to you and a couple of million other users...

• Like Like x 1
  15. paul291277

paul291277 Regular EF Member

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Just look him straight in the eye and ask him the following question "do you like working here" oh and make sure he isn't paid in full until its all tested out.