Discuss Insurance company asking for only NICEIC registered tester? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

NG1965

I was asked to quote on testing a mates 3 storey call centre/office (EICR & PAT), all going well until he read the small print on the insurance document (L & G, I think) which insists that the tester is NICEIC registered......which I'm not (Benchmark) Has anyone else come across this, I have seen it in numerous domestic instruction leaflets 'only to be installed by NICEIC approved electrician' .

The annoying thing is I've done loads of testing for all sorts of customers and installations in this office!

The word Cartel sprang to mind but I'm sure it's not...

cheers Neil

It is the insurance companies risk they can ask for who ever they like.
They are not a charity, nor are they a governmental organisation, they are a profit making body, who are only interested in making profits for their shareholders, and do not care about their insured clients.
Same as any business, they are out to make money.
Same as any client can select what you wear on their site.
If the client says pink overalls with blue spots on their site then if you want the work, that is what you have to wear.

threaten the insurance company with a restrictive practices lawsuit.

You can't Tel, they can specify what they like as long as it does not break statute laws, e.g. sexual discrimination for one.

They are a business, same as you selecting who you buy from, they can do the same.

If you use CEF exclusively, can Newey & Eyre accuse you of restrictive business practice & file a lawsuit against you accordingly?

How did you know about my overalls? It's a little annoying to say the least.....on the positive side the existing wiring is a b nightmare and it's taken me several visits to find the various fuse boards, sub meters, time clocks, land lords boxes etc so good luck to them ...in a professional manner

Are you with a Governing body?
If so, get onto them, and air your concerns, they will then phone the Company, and explain to them the difference between the differing bodies etc.
The Ins. Co. may then change their policy once they have been educated.

The Assessor from Elecsa told me they had had a 100% success rate in changing the 'NICEIC' rule from the ones they had been informed of. NAPIT are also keen on making sure that NICEIC is not the only 'Club' out there.

My van insurance asked if the named driver had any CCJ's.
When I answered it's none of my business they said my insurance would be invalid if they did.:banghead:

Insurance companies can do what they like.

As far as the OP I believe that some will accept an EICR from a non NICEIC registered spark if you talk to them.

NICEIC are supposed to be non-profit organisation but most of their practices would lead us to believe that its focus is based on profit ...... Our very own NICEIC forum member answered alot of questions posed to him (when he's about!) but strangely avoided the ones i asked... selective response just like a politician .... their should be one recognised non-profit body that has high strict entrance guidelines and is something to be proud of been a member of... at the moment its a confusing jungle of money hungry scheme's.

You can't Tel, they can specify what they like as long as it does not break statute laws, e.g. sexual discrimination for one.

They are a business, same as you selecting who you buy from, they can do the same.

If you use CEF exclusively, can Newey & Eyre accuse you of restrictive business practice & file a lawsuit against you accordingly?

agreed in law. but it's like cef insisting that you use only cef for supplies and can't use neweys, to quote your example,

Join nappit tomorrow the file law suit or just give the money back you bad boy :) if something happened they'd check your status.. And argue not to pay

The ecclesiastical insurance had a "Niceic only" policy for its church insurances
Its been changed to include Napit members after complaints were made,so it seems there is scope for change

Quite a lot of the time,it can be put down to ignorance,many equate the Niceic with electrical registration and the authors of the regulations, mention the IEE and most won't have a clue

This situation will change with time,but for now I'm with the posters who say its "their business" who they stipulate,wearing white overalls and a pink daffodil as well could also be non negotiable if they so wanted

We had something similar at work a few years ago and the way we got around it was to prove competence by providing proof of qualifications (which had to include 2382 and 2391) and a couple of recent eicr's, in a 10 minute interview. After that they were happy to allow it to be done 'in-house'.

The Insurance Co's ask for the NIC because they have been brainwashed by NIC's publicity machine - which has had much longer and thrown more money and been more clever in promoting themselves as THE official electrical body (which of course they are not). I have met lots of people in my experience who even think that the NIC write the Regs. They think that, because the NIC have cleverly wanted them to think that. Most Registration Bodies - as alanl says in post 6 - have someone who will contact the Insurance company concerned and re-educate them that the NiCEIC are not the one and only great electrical governing body - the insurance company usually then change their minds.

Hi,

I used to do the PAT Testing for our local Church and Church Hall every year as a freebie. They then had their H&S docs updated which said ' all works to be carried out by approved NIC Contractor'. They now have to pay for it, as I am no longer able to do it!

Regards.

Reply to Insurance company asking for only NICEIC registered tester? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock