Discuss insurance in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

There are 2 schools of thought
1. A pir is a report, so as long as you follow standard practise (including noting any limitations etc) you will be covered by the fact that anyone suing you will have to take on the IEE / ESC etc.

2. You need Indemnity if you are giving advice- a PIR is a report only, not giving advice

If you watch that you are saying then you are ok

An example
A client told another electrician that I told her she needed a rewire- what I actually said was the council were rewiring houses round about hers. I made a point of telling her this and not that she need a rewire as it wasn't that bad.

Be careful what you say and how you say it

I would say yes it is really. As you are giving your expert opinion and if anything untoward happened after that, ie in a factory a production line went down to due an electrical service that you said was in good condition, and it failed, the company may if they were advised by another expert that it was a fault or a condition that should have been picked up by you, and was overlooked. Your PI would help you fight this.

There are 2 schools of thought
1. A pir is a report, so as long as you follow standard practise (including noting any limitations etc) you will be covered by the fact that anyone suing you will have to take on the IEE / ESC etc.

2. You need Indemnity if you are giving advice- a PIR is a report only, not giving advice

If you watch that you are saying then you are ok

An example
A client told another electrician that I told her she needed a rewire- what I actually said was the council were rewiring houses round about hers. I made a point of telling her this and not that she need a rewire as it wasn't that bad.

Be careful what you say and how you say it

Would you not consider that the schedule of inspection and results that are supplied with the PIR to be a sign of you giving an expert view on the condition of the installation.

I would say yes it is really. As you are giving your expert opinion and if anything untoward happened after that, ie in a factory a production line went down to due an electrical service that you said was in good condition, and it failed, the company may if they were advised by another expert that it was a fault or a condition that should have been picked up by you, and was overlooked. Your PI would help you fight this.

Particularly with industrial situations always use the maintenance mans get out, “system correct at the time of inspection”. You can’t be responsible for what Fred to odd job man does 5 mins after you’ve left.

It’s a bit like a MOT, the garage indemnifies it’s self against claims by “at the time of testing”. “Mr. Jones your brakes are OK but a bit worn”. Mr. Jones goes home and changes the pads. Piles the car up and then starts shouting about the MOT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had any in all the years I have been doing PIRs, waste of money!!
A PIR is just like an MOT, as Tony said, you are reporting on the condition of the installation. Baldy is right, what I do is to put down the reg number if any faults are found to back it up. Never say it needs arewire or something similar.

BTW, ever thought about the work you design? If you put in a new circuit, even a simple one, and something goes wrong, THEN you will need PI, as you are now deemed to have given advice by designing the circuit.

Steve.

A PIR is just like an MOT, as Tony said, you are reporting on the condition of the installation. Baldy is right, what I do is to put down the reg number if any faults are found to back it up. Never say it needs arewire or something similar.

BTW, ever thought about the work you design? If you put in a new circuit, even a simple one, and something goes wrong, THEN you will need PI, as you are now deemed to have given advice by designing the circuit.

Steve.

All insurance is a waste of money until you/a third party come to make a claim.

I just can't formulate a valid reason not to have professional indemnity whether you're a 1 man band or a small business.

Take a look at www.tradedirectinsurance.co.uk they beat NICEIC by a fair margin when we mentioned how long we'd been trading.

In these days of ambulance chaser solicitors etc.it's worth every penny to not have to 'watch what you say' to a client.

As has already been mentioned, you are deeming your designs to comply too and by definition, that is advice.

Steve.

If you design any type of installation be it a a multi building complex or Mrs Jones new outside light, then as that designer you are liable for that design, If it burns down for any reason, you will be pleased in having PI.

I have not used my car insuarance for well over 20 years, but I'm glad I have it.

Last edited:
Yes, I would strongly recommend that you obtain PI - Professional Indemnity insurance.

I too got my best quote from Trade Direct (which is through the Zurich) Also found out they automatically gave me £1000 worth of tools cover, which is good given that some of my equipment remains permanently scattered around a glen after my car accident :)

The combined policy of PL, PI, tools etc is abut £200 per year

Yes, I would strongly recommend that you obtain PI - Professional Indemnity insurance.

I too got my best quote from Trade Direct (which is through the Zurich) Also found out they automatically gave me £1000 worth of tools cover, which is good given that some of my equipment remains permanently scattered around a glen after my car accident :)

The combined policy of PL, PI, tools etc is abut £200 per year

At that price, it's a 'no brainer'

so whats is public liability covering you for

Public Liability insurance covers the award of any damages given to a claimant, or member of the public, because of an accident that caused injury or damage caused by your business. It also covers legal fees, any related costs and additional expenses as well as the costs of any hospital treatment , which may include ambulance costs, that the NHS may claim against you.

I'm also with Trade Direct, for both PL and PI. Any insurance is a bind, handing over money and never actually getting anything. But what helps me sleep at night is knowing that umbrella is there if the you-know-what hits the fan. Like they say, better to have it and not need it, etc. Besides, with all these registrations, insurances and memberships, it also helps Joe Public to tell us apart from the cowboys. I hope.

Reply to insurance in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net