Discuss Integrated LED Downlighters or Separates? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratepete

Why do many sparkies fit integrated LED downlights such as the JCC FGLED range?

I wouldn't fit combined units at all, at least not in a domestic situation. You're saddling the client with an expensive reinstallation bill if in the future he wants, for example, warm white instead of cool white or a lower output or dimmables.

Technically there was an early problem with overheating of GU10 LEDs in cans, but I believe that this has now been nailed. I use the open Ansell Fire Rated icage fittings anyway to play safe.

Costwise there's no gain - lamp plus fitting £15.

Installation- Doesn't take any longer

Warranty - JCC offers a 10 year warranty but only if you have noted the serial nos and gone to the faf of registering them. If one fails, muggins has to change it, no doubt FOC. Will the model you've installed be available in 9.5 years? One type that I installed only a year ago has already been withdrawn.
The LED GU10s I supply have a 5 year warranty and the bases are date stamped. So I install them, give my client the supplier's address and walk away from the job forever. They love them!

Pete

I recommend the JCC's and I do the online registration of the warranty for them.

Its easy enough to note the batch numbers when you install - its no different to noting down the test results for the circuit you are working on.

Faffing - lazy more like.

Horses for courses, you design your install to suit the use and client's requests. I install both GU10 and integrated LED units depending on the job.

i generally fit GU10 as i prefer smd lamps and most of the integrated units seem to be 3or4 torch bulbs.

Reply to Integrated LED Downlighters or Separates? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net