Discuss interconnected circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
After installing a new consumer unit, both rcds were tripping out. I had a hunt around for the problem and quickly found a link between the first floor lights and the ground floor lights. Seems the hallway ground floor light had a link from its common terminal to the common terminal of the other gang of the 2 gang light switch. A two core cable then went upstairs to the landing light switch marked first floor light. IR tested upstairs lights L/N to earth quite low 4.89 downstairs IR L/N to earth 18.79. Presumed the imbalance of current to two different neutral bars were causing the rcds to trip.

i prefer to call it a shared live. the best solution is to rewire the 2 way switching using 3 core/E and feeding the L to the landing from the upstairs light circuit. alternatively, you should put both circuits into 1 MCB. and the neutrals into the same N bar, this won't strictly comply with the division of circuits for safety ( forget the reg. no. without looking it up ).

i prefer to call it a shared live. the best solution is to rewire the 2 way switching using 3 core/E and feeding the L to the landing from the upstairs light circuit. alternatively, you should put both circuits into 1 MCB. and the neutrals into the same N bar, this won't strictly comply with the division of circuits for safety ( forget the reg. no. without looking it up ).

thanks, that's what I would call it too. Have already done the alternative for the time being.

here some switch ****

Hallway Light Switch

interconnected circuits 016d1b4eabcfae4750e1f9e0c41034dd0c9f04ff0b - EletriciansForums.net

Landing Light Switch

interconnected circuits 01aab722cbf31702aedaa63bb34657c95ec8ef5040 - EletriciansForums.net

In the last picture the link had been removed in the picture but was between common and common.

Last edited:

well.... If it's a dual RCD board it would depend on how the sockets are fused. If it's hi integrity board then slap in a RCBO and put all the lights on it. If it's RCBO board then do the same. A note on the cert too!

what has your schemes tech line suggested?

Last edited by a moderator:
well.... If it's a dual RCD board it would depend on how the sockets are fused. If it's hi integrity board then slap in a RCBO and put all the lights on it. If it's RCBO board then do the same. A note on the cert too!

what has your schemes tech line suggested?

it is dual rcd, sockets?

note it good idea

haven't spoke to niceic yet didn't think it was necessary..

i fail to see the relevance of socket circuits to a problem with a borrowed live or borrowed Neutral on lights.

Reply to interconnected circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock