Discuss Interested ex-lmited scope GE in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ex gas engineer here( Sorry!) , had limited scope Part P at one time so I know enough to be dangerous, no seriously I know enough to leave certain things well alone!

Recently had some electrical problems at home so now doing some research and checking out my own electrics which I had never really done before because they just worked you know.

Am going to be replacing old fuse box with new Hager consumer unit - well the spark I employ will be - so I have a bit of reading to do.

Hi,tell us all about these electrical problems,and i'll tell you about a furious landlord,who simply cannot understand his tenants inability to remember not to have all the hob burners on at once...coz it turns off the boiler...;)

If you want to replace fusebox yourself and want some advice, just say. You won't go to prison lol
Hehe.he No, I've had a spark round and am letting him do the labour! Theoretically I could probably do the job but I've never actually done one outside of the training centre and don't have the equipment needed anyway so I think leaving it to the spark is the best thing. Spark comes recommended and I've seen his work which apart from the usual Sparks trick of leaving a mess was ok. :pOnly thing I was concerned about was he didn't seem that certain of whether my system was TN-s or TN-CS

SO problems with my electrics?

I've been wanting for a while to get a CU instead of a wired fuse box but have just never had the time to get round to it.

Just recently my shower went Kaput with sparks and everything!! While I was showering. Unfortunately the only the 40A MCB( the only one in the box, the rest are wire fuses) didn't trip so I had to switch off using DP isolator on pull cord.

On looking at fuse box, the seating for the MCB had cracked (maybe because the MCB was stuck out proud from the fuses and was knocked) so I decided it was time to get the CU job done.

The shower I have bought to replace it is a 9.8 kw Mira Sport multifit. The wiring to the shower is only 6mm so according to Miras ACE instructions I will need to run some 10mm - although technically as the 6mm is surface mounted and in plaster only(and not in stu walls or under insulation) 6mm should be ok ?I think.

Its an old house which was rewired in the 80s, with one mains and one lighting ring. I built an extension and added an extra mains and lighting ring for the extension in the 90s, a feed for the shower and one for the cooker.

I now need a feed ro go outside for a workshop I'm building(I'd like to be able to get 40A in there so I can have lights and about 8-10 sockets running off its own board. Also we are getting a new kitchen soon with 2 ovens instead of one, will this affect the 6mm supply that currently runs to the kitchen?

Thanks

Reply to Interested ex-lmited scope GE in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net