Discuss Interesting IR Readings - Any ideas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SparkyChick

Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, this one is interesting and I have absolutely no idea what could be causing this.

Just added a PIR to a lighting circuit, very simple, disconnect the lamp and move the feed cables to feed a PIR and then onto the lamp itself. Nice straightforward.

Doing my testing for the minor works cert and the IR readings go something like this:-

2, 10, 100, 200, 450, 4.5, 350, 5.5, 400, 5, and so on.

The ramp up at the beginning I expect to see, but then flipping back and forth between lower values and higher values. All above the minimum 2Mohm, but a cyclic flip back and forth with steady timing.

I didn't test L-N, but the same thing happens on L+N-E, L-E and N-E and it happens at 250v and 500v.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what could cause this because as I say, I've got nothing?

i wouldn't worry about it.could be a parallel path. i had a call-out this morning. MCB tripped on a lighting circuit. (fluorescents). IR L-E was 0.00Meg. on continuity was 34 ohms L-E. even after fault was cleared (a cooked ballast), same readings. testing properly was impossible due to being unable to ID which N and E's belonged to the circuit in an originally wired in singles installation with loads of additions bodged on with T/E.

It was mixed lighting, the PIR was in circuit because I needed it to be to test as much of the cabling as possible.

If it had been flipping between high and very low (less than 2Mohm) I might have been really worried, but all readings were well above that.

Oh well, one of those things I guess, just never seen anything like it before so figured I'd seek some sage advice :)

Why was the PIR in circuit... no reason really, other than just wanting to be thorough and include as much of the final circuit as possible. There's got to be a notification as it's a modified outside circuit, so just wanted to be doubly sure there were no issues.

Change of accessory... one was a change, and that was fine, the other was on the circuit that gave the flip flop readings and that was a change to the circuit.

Once the initial ramp up was out of the way, it didn't drop below 4.52Mohm when it flipped, so that's what's going on the cert.

No I did not test it before hand, which I'm thinking is something I'm going to do in future to rule out the possibility that I may have introduced an issue.

Even if it's Class II are you sure the earth terminal isn't functional, use for internal MOV's surge arrestors maybe?

Reply to Interesting IR Readings - Any ideas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net